Chapter 3: Healing Power

I sat up, against Stella’s protests.

“Mom, this is Maya.  I found her in the woods.  Terrible case of wolf shock.  I wouldn’t have led her back here if it wasn’t important.  You need to take a look at her.  I think she’ll be fine, but you’re the expert,” she explained.

I looked at Stella in shock.  This was her mom?

The woman sighed.  “Stella, what will we ever do with you?”  She laughed a bit and then walked over and sat and the floor in front of me, kneeling onto her knees in her pencil skirt.

“Hello Miss Maya.  I’m so sorry about my daughter.  She is a little… nurturing, I guess you could say.”

“There’s nothing wrong with that, Mom.”

Her mother laughed.  “She’s the only vegetarian werewolf I’ve ever met.”

I laughed, unsurprised.  Stella seemed too gentle to eat meat.

“That’s because there isn’t another.”  Stella was fairly proud of herself, I could tell, for being so good to animals.

Stella’s mom smiled for a moment and then looked back to me.  “Let’s see what the problem is, shall we?”  She began touching with her fingertips small tender spots all over me, mostly on my head and neck.  It was as if she was searching for energy, her touch was so light.  It lasted about five minutes.

“How is she?”

“Good.  You did a good job, Stella.  You did all you could.”  She then looked to me and asked if I could shift.

I sat up, feeling suddenly sore all over.  I tried to shift.  I was beyond grateful when it worked, but I still was unable to move much, and after about two minutes, I shifted back.  I was freezing cold for some reason.

“Maya, lay down!  You’re still too weak,” Stella and her mom both said quickly once I’d shifted back.

“This could take a while,” I stated when I was back down on the couch with my head on a soft red pillow.

“Yes, it could.  But right now, there’s not much else we could do.”  She turned to Stella.  “Go get the poor girl some food!  It will help with her energy level.”

Stella quickly obliged, as she always seems to, and brought me a few smores granola bars.

“Alright, I’m going to go cook.  You need a proper meal,” her mom said, standing up gracefully.  “You girls can go watch TV or something.  Maya can walk a little bit, I think.”  As she was about to walk out of the room, I called after her.

“Thank you…” I realized I didn’t know what to call her, except for Stella’s mom.

“Luna Maya is fine, dear.”

I smiled.  “I like your name, Luna Maya.”

The other Luna smiled and then left.

I looked at Stella in shock.  “That was weird!  I’ve never seen a wolf do anything like that!”  I couldn’t mask the amazement in my voice.  “It was like she was sensing energy or something.  Like magic.”

Stella shrugged.  “That’s because she’s not a wolf.”

I was confused.  “What do you mean?”

“She’s a witch.”  She didn’t seem to care much.  She said it indifferently, and even sounded bored.  I was just getting more confused.

“But she’s a Luna.  How can she be a witch?”