Chapter 5: Movie Time

I began to fell back, but was caught by a cold hand on my back.

“Maya,” Stella shrieked.

My eyes fluttered open quickly to see Stella, Tyler, and Jack.  Who had caught me?  Before standing up, I tilted my head back to see a face that looked cold and cut from stone, like an old masterpiece carved by Michelangelo or something.  I told myself to get up, or thank him for helping me, or to at least do something, but he had mesmerizing cold eyes the color of honey, but colder than ice.

He looked at me for a moment, too, but then lifted his hand to help me rise back to being vertical.  I stood faced away from him for hardly a second before turning to thank him, but he was gone.

Had I merely just imagined him?  No.  He was too real to not have been.

“Maya, are you alright,” Stella asked worriedly.

I nodded and took a step forward.  “Yeah, I’m fine, just as long as we don’t walk too much.”

Stella pursed her lips.  “I think we should get the okay from Doctor Mom before we go,” she joked, grabbing my arm.  She looked apologetically at the guys and then pulled me away.

“Mom,” she called as we walked through the kitchen where we saw her doing dishes.  “Mom, Maya just nearly fainted, but she says she feels fine as long as we don’t walk.  Is it okay to take her to the movies with Tyler and Jack?”

Luna Maya had already turned around and walked over to me.  She held her hand in front of my face, moving it slowly.  She pursed her lips and nodded.  “Just so long as you take the car.  My keys are in my room, go get them, Stella.”

Stella smiled and nodded, sending me back to the entry hall while she went to get the keys.  When she returned, she smiled, holding up the key ring and the guys looked excited, too.

“Can I drive,” Jack asked.  When Stella shook her head he groaned.  “Oh come on, Stella, I’m older than you!  I’ve been driving longer than you!”

She stuck out her tongue.  “A month doesn’t count dumbutt.”

“Yes it does!  When you’re the only seventeen-year-old in the group it does.”

I rolled my eyes.  “I’m seventeen.”

Jack looked at me.  “Alright, we’ll settle this the easy way.  When was your birthday?”

“Eight days ago.”

Jack started to say three weeks, but Stella looked at me confused.  “You left on your birthday?”

I looked down at the floor.  “Yeah.  But I don’t want to talk about it, so never mind.”  I took a couple steps toward the door and without another word from any of them, they followed.

We got to the theater really quickly after an interesting car ride, in which Stella drove, Tyler and Jack fought in the backseat about who knows what, and I played with the radio dial, playing pretty much anything.

When we got to the theater, Stella and I chose some cheesy romantic comedy movie, just to annoy the boys.  We sat with the two boys in between us, and much to my pleasure, Tyler sat next to Stella.  We were early, so the trailers were barely starting so Stella and Tyler went to get snacks.

When they were gone, Jack leaned over and whispered in my ear.  “They are so oblivious.”

“Huh,” I asked confused.

“They think they’re good at hiding the way they feel about each other, when the only ones who don’t know are themselves.”

I laughed a bit.  “I guess so.”