Snuggles Block Fear

This was a short idea I had that I wrote in 30 minutes before going to bed. It is based off my own fear of lightning. It is currently raining with thunder and lightning where I am so it inspired me. I sit here wrapped in blankets as I write. It makes it worse that I just moved and I don't have blinds on my windows yet. Does anyone else have a fear of lightning?

I was lying in bed and watching videos of random things. Eren had left to go home about an hour ago now and I was trying to keep myself busy. I was perfectly content, laughing occasionally at the videos. I was in the middle of watching one of Eren's videos when I heard a familiar boom. Thunder. I quickly went to check the weather report to see it was supposed to be a rain storm with thunder and... lightning. I took a deep breath and calmed myself, it's fine, it's only supposed to last 2 hours, I can wait it out and take Rivaille out after.

Rivaille didn't like that idea apparently because only a few minutes later, he was scratching at my bedroom door, begging to go out. I forced myself up from my bed and grabbed Eren's hoodie off my desk, he forgot it again. I pulled it on and opened my bedroom door, cautiously making my way to the back door and putting the leash on Rivaille. I opened the door and stared out at the screen. I waited for the flash before quickly opening the screen and letting Rivaille out, I tried to stay inside and just stretch my arm but Rivaille wanted to go further than that. I slowly stepped out of the house and a little ways out into the rain. Rivaille began to do his business while I watched the sky with panicked eyes. I felt the leash give a little and knew he was done. 

I went to walk back in but whipped my head to the sky and let out a yelp when lightning light up the sky. I ran inside, Rivaille struggling to keep up. I locked the door and quickly removed my shoes, taking the leash off and running up the stairs to my bedroom with my dog hot on my heels. I slammed my bedroom door shut and snuggled into Eren's sweater, hiding under the covers with my puppy in my arms. My breathing was heavy and I felt a panic build in my chest. Horrible thoughts filled my head and tears filled my eyes. My sister wasn't home yet, what if she gets struck by lightning walking home, or Eren, what if something happens to him. I don't want to be left all alone. Rivaille whined when I began to cry into his fur, only lightning can make me cry like this. 

I clutched the bedsheets and heard the front door open downstairs. "Levi! Are you alright?!" Eren's shouted, running upstairs and into my room. "Eren!" I cried, releasing my dog and opening my arms for him. He picked me up and held me close. "It's okay Levi. I promise every one is okay," Eren whispers to me, rubbing my back and tightening his hold on me. I flinched when another flash happened and Eren got up, carrying me with him. He turns on my bedside lamp and closes my blinds, blocking out the flashes from lightning. I felt myself calm down in his hold and released a heavy breath. "Why are you back?" I asked, looking up at him. "I saw the lightning and knew I had to come back, I would never leave you alone, not when knowing how much lightning scares you," Eren replies, laying down in the bed with me. 

"Levi! I rushed home as soon as I saw the lightning!" Mikasa shouted from downstairs. "I've got him, don't worry!" Eren shouted back then giving me all his attention again. My sister opened the door and smiled in relief, glad to see that I was okay. "Sorry you had to come all the way out here again Eren. I know it's a long drive. Apparently, the weather is going to be like this for a while, they say it might be doing this all day tomorrow too," Mikasa says, looking at the weather on her phone. I gripped Eren tighter at the news, that's not good. I will not leave this house if there is lightning tomorrow, I don't care if I have to miss a month worth of school. I will never go out in lightning unless Rivaille needs out. 

"It's fine. I'll just stay the night. I'll have to call my mom, let her know I won't be able to come by like I thought," My boyfriend says, kissing my forehead and getting up to make his call. I kept a hold of his shirt and he didn't mind. As he talked on the phone Mikasa sat on the end of the bed and asked if I was alright. "I've been better but I feel a little better, knowing that you guys are okay," I admitted and she smiled. "I'm going to head to bed, try to sleep," She says, heading off to her own room. Eren ended his call and turned back to me. "Now, my baby, let us lay down and rest," Eren smiles, laying back down and holding me to his chest. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to sleep knowing that there is lightning outside right now but I find it easier to relax now that Mikasa is home and Eren is right here with me, protecting me.