Chapter 2

Emily and Lace ran into the room they were crying just like me.
"Dad!" They jumped into my arms.
I was trying to calm them down while hiding that I'm scared.
"Please win this, we need you." Emily said.
"I'll try, now listen to me. You have to take care of Lance while I'm gone, take those money we were saving for an emergency situation." I told her, everything was in her hands now.
She nodded her head and tried to wipe the tears off her face.
"I love you both very much." I said.
"We love you too, daddy." Lance added.

...

I was waiting in the train in order to meet with my mentor.
I was sitting right next to Patricia, there was this awkward silence between us. We used to be close but after Stella's death I stopped talking to anyone.
"Dominic," She broke the silence.
"Patricia,"
"Who was this girl you volunteered for?" I asked.
"My adopted daughter. She's nineteen." She answered without making any eye contact with me.
"I didn't know you adopted a kid-"
"Maybe if you talked to me during those 2 years you would know." Patricia replied coldly.
"I have been busy." I said.
"I offered you my help but you didn't want it."
It was true, I didn't want her help.

Then our three mentors came in.
There aren't much victors from District 8. The odds are never in our favour and most of the time we win by luck or by people with a good strategy.
107th Hunger Games were won by a boy named Orion from my District. He won mostly by luck, his handsome looks made him get a lot of sponsors. Through all the games he was hiding and waiting until everyone dies. He was 18 back then now he is 36.
The other victor is Thor from 99th games. Thor is 41 and was 15 when he won. He won by luck when there was an earthquake on the arena.
The only victor from our district who won by skills was Amelia who won at the age of 14 in the 95th games. She made traps on other tributes. She poisoned 4 people and her traps killed 5 people. From all the 14 year old victors she killed the most people.

I saw Amelia walking in and I remembered the times when I was watching her games. Despite the fact that she is 44 now, she looks similar to how she looked in the past.
She has long straight red hair in one ponytail. She's tall and she has bright brown eyes. She had a mysterious smile like she used to in the past.

"Hello, tributes." Amelia said as she sat on the chair next to Orion.
Thor fell down right when he wanted to sit on the chair.
"Is he okay?" Patricia asked.
"Yeah, he's just drunk. Don't worry about him." Orion answered.
"You two aren't lucky, huh?" Amelia smiled.
"If you're here it means that you aren't ethier." I replied.
"You're right."
"I'm not going to teach you how to win, I'm going to teach you how to survive." She added.
"What's the difference?" Patricia asked.
"No one ever won the games, they are only survivors." She answered.
"You'll understand when you get out of the arena." She added.
"Let's get to the point." Orion said.
"First you'll go on a parade where the Capitol will see for the first time after the reaping."
"Then you'll go on the training. Try to focus on survival skills as much as the fighting ones. Most people will die from starvation and dehydration." Orion explained.
"You two are siblings right?" Amelia asked.
"Yeah."
"That will give you sponsors for sure. They love sibling's love."
...

Me and Patricia weren't talking a lot but I know that she was mad at me.
After a meeting with our designer we got to the parade.
We were wearing some colourful clothes, every part was made of a different material.
"So, Dominic." Patricia walked up next to me.
"Are you feeling something to Amelia?" She asked.
"What?" I got confused and nervous.
"Please I saw how you were looking at her."
"I don't know what are you talking about." I answered.
"Remember when you were watching her games? You even wanted to send her stuff."
"Patricia, there's nothing between me and Amelia." I said more aggressively than I planned.
"Yeah, you're right. There's nothing between you and anyone, anyway." She said.

Fuck.
We're spoussed to play loving siblings and right now we're only fighting.

We got on the platform.
People were cheering and clapping.
I was trying to hide my confusion and stress.
"Just try to act like you're better than them." Patricia said, she noticed my problem.
"That shouldn't be hard." I answered.
She smiled and took my hand.