Chapter 3

WC: 383

     I hate to think this, but he might have killed her himself. I mean, I guess he is crazy if he thinks that I am her. Once again, like I thought earlier, it's a possibility that he's color blind. If he did kill her....would he kill me? My heart nearly stops. Does he wait until someone comes to his shack and then make them his next victim? "Why are you looking at me like that?" He asks. Oh, gosh. I was too deep in thought to realize that we are staring each other down like we are having a staring contest. "Huh? Oh, sorry. I was just thinking." I say. "So this is where you live." I say, taking a look around once more and realize that there are some rats in the far corner. I shiver, hoping he won't notice. "What's the matter? Are you cold?" He asks, kind of worried. "Oh, yeah just a little cold in here." I say. Well, yeah it is true. I don't know how he isn't cold too. The cool breeze was flowing in through half of the windows. And if he is cold, he Isn't showing any sign of it.
     "Here, let me adjust the air conditioner to a lower setting." He says. Then he walks over to the wall, and pretends to press some buttons. "Ah, there we go. That should be much better." He says. I'm now really confused. First, he calls me Mary when I don't really resemble her, and now he presses buttons on the wall that aren't even there. How much more confusing can this guy be? I have to find out more, and finally convince him that I'm not Mary. But how? So I grab him by the hands and look into his icy blue eyes. "I'm sorry if something bad happened to her. My name is Jessie." I say, pointing to myself. I feel like I'm teaching a one year old how to say my name. Maybe that's just how it's gonna have to go. He looks at me, confused. "I'm confused." He says. "Yeah, no kidding, I am too. Listen, you're crazy!", I want to say. But I know better than to call a crazy person crazy. He would probably just call me crazy.