8

I gulp as I look at the daunting door in front of me. Buttoned Shirt knocks, opening it slightly when granted permission.

"What is it?" A voice startles me, Buttoned Shirt turns the light on while I glance around, standing slightly behind him.

"I've got her."

"What?"

"(L/N)." At this, a tall figure that was standing in the corner rushes out.

"Why did you bring them?" His voice sounds familiar.

"She was going to be used as bait by the dogs." The dogs? Who are the dogs?

"Really now?" The familiar voice gets closer, I look up to see Buttoned Shirt having moved out of the way and now this tall man stood in front of me. He smirked as everything clicked.

"You're the guy who saved me from those thugs a few days ago!" I perked up and pointed at him in excitement. He's saved me once, meaning he's not bad right?

"It seems you recognized me." He turns and waves me to follow. I walk into the room and look around a bit more. There's a large desk, black, and clearly expensive. There was other furniture, but overall, it was a nice office.

He points to a seat and I gladly sit, since my legs are really tired. I notice Buttoned Shirt out of the corner of my eye taking his leave.

So I guess I'm alone with this guy.

"So, y/n, you got caught by the dog?" He stares at me while leaning against the front of his desk.

"Who's the Dog?"

"Ameer."

"Oh! Mr. Kakinson!" I wonder why he's called the dog. I glance up at a slight chuckle.

"I believe his name was Jackson, but Kakison works. Not that his name matters. So, why were you with him?"

"I- um. Well, honestly I don't know. He said something about a list or something and I wanted to know what it was about. But he more or less threatened me." I shrug, trying to pretend it was nothing big, but I was honestly scared.

"Sounds scary. And the list is mine. I have a list of people that if anyone touches, I'll -uh- ruin them."

"Really? Okay. Good to know, but why am I on that list?"

"That dog said too much. Anyway, I added you to the list after you were harassed by the thugs last Thursday."

"I see."

"Anyway, that man's dangerous, don't ever go near him." I flinch at the sudden harsh tone. Tears start to well up in my eyes, I think not because he said that, but the tone reminded me of Ameer and the gun to my face.

"Ahh, no, no, don't cry!" I feel a pair of rough hands gently land on my shoulders. The thumbs in a comforting motion rub my skin. "It's okay." My eyes well up even more and a few tears even fall out. Honestly just hearing 'it's okay' is so comforting.

"Thank... you.." I clasp onto his shirt as he pulls me into a hug. His warmth soothes my heart.

"Don't worry, you can stay here for a while. Nobody can hurt you while you're with me. So stay here, that is the only way you'll be safe. If you stay closer to me, I'll do anything in my power to protect you."

I nod, him able to tell I agreed by the motion against his chest.

"Perfect." He pulls away from the hug, smiling. "Stay here, I'll inform the others to set up a room." He turns and walks away. I lean back into the chair.

I just agreed to stay with this- sorta a stranger, just because he put me on a list to be protected after saving me.

The memories flood through my head, trying to remember when he stepped in and helped me against those thugs.

Wait. I think I remember one of them talking about how I was on some list.

Does that mean I was already on the list? So he lied? Or maybe it was a different list.

No, that seems too coincidental.

I was definitely already on the list.

So he already knew me. He also lied to me.

What's going on!? 

Kenji Ashford's hand

Kenji Ashford's hand. :) Cuz why not.

.