Danielle Santiago *Trigger Warning*

- 2015 - Miami, Florida - Danielle

Day one. 

My, "one day," dream was finally a day one. I got the call early last week that I passed the detective's exam. 

It only took six years. 

The negative was there were no positions available in my district. I had to transfer from south to central and even then it was with the homicide division instead of the special victims unit. 

But it's my foot in the door. A chance to get my feet wet and save some lives. It wasn't going to stop me from constantly keeping an eye open for a position in svu though. I've lived that life and I would do anything to save others from living it too.

"You speak Spanish right?" Captain Blackwood asked. As if he hadn't interviewed me just a few days ago.

I bit my tongue and nodded my head. I had to resist the need to be a smartass. Looking at your boss and saying, "nope, I'm one of those rare Hispanic girls that grew up in Miami that don't speak a lick of it." Isn't really a good idea. Then again it was kinda true, they were rare but I've come across a few in my day.

"Good, your partner doesn't understand it."

Great, I get to spend every day playing translate the witness statements. Again. 

A good chunk of the south district office spoke Spanish. With the exception of my previous partner. It drove me crazy, especially since he refused to even try to learn. Granted, it is his constitutional right to not have to learn the language. But he was a south Florida boy. 

It's a requirement in this state to have to take two years of a foreign language in order to graduate high school. This guy grew up just outside of Little Havana and he took French classes. 

FRENCH.

I forced a smile on my lips as years of having to do another person's work once again laid at my feet. I should get up and walk out. I should tell this guy to go fuck himself and say screw my job. But that won't pay the bills and unless I want to go back to being a beat cop, I had to stay put. 

I must have been so caught up in my mini-breakdown that I hadn't even noticed the captain leave his seat. He was leaning on the desk in front of me, his arms crossed at his chest and he looked confused.

"What?" I asked cautiously.

"You look like I just told you your dog died," he answered.

I chucked, "sorry. I just was thinking about my last partner. Wondering how different it would all be."

There was a quick knock on the door behind us before it opened. Captian Blackwood smiled at the newcomer as he stood up straight. "Ah, good. Always prompt." 

Apparently, the newcomer was a boy scout. 

"Detective James Whitmore, I'd like you to meet your new partner," he nodded down at me. "Detective Danielle Santiago."

Great my new partner was said boy scout, this was going to be fun. I took a deep breath and stood from the chair. I turned to face him and I should have done so slower. 

Holy crap.

 His light blue eyes were captivating, this guy had to be a full foot taller than me. And those shoulders! Was God punishing me?  

James took one step forward and immediately tripped over his own foot pouring hot coffee down his front.

- 1994 - Miami, Florida - Danielle

"Mami, that meany did it again," I mumbled as we walked home in the hot Miami sun.

"Did what, Mija?"