Fighting Life

2019 - Miami, Florida - James

She jumped out of the truck as soon as we made it back to our friends. Then avoided me during the bond fire. I managed to convince her to let me drive her home, though. 

Dylan was still wired and jumping up and down in the back seat. I blame the seven smores she convinced Dallas she needed. Once we pulled up to Danielle's apartment building, she rushed a goodbye then jumped out of the truck. 

"I'll be right back," I told Dylan as I got out to follow her. 

"Danielle!" I called out before she made it to the door.

She froze for a moment then turned to look at me. 

"James, don't," she said.

"Don't what?" I asked with a chuckle. 

"Look, I don't think we should be anything more than friends."

I tried to pretend she didn't just mentally push the air out of my lungs. What? She can't be serious. We were centimeters from kissing not even three hours ago. Now she wants to just be friends?

Did I get abducted by aliens or something?

"Friends?" I asked carefully.

"We've seen what a petty misunderstanding has done to our work relationship. Imagine what would happen if it were a real fight."

"We've had disagreements before," I reminded her.

"And look where those got us," she snapped and threw her hands up in frustration.

I sighed. She was wrong. Hearing that she was jealous and that's what caused her to ice me out concreted my thoughts about that. We deserved to give it a try, but her stubborn ass is fighting this. 

Maybe she just needed a bit more space to figure out what I already knew. 

"Alright," I said quietly then turned away.

"James!" She called out.

I turned back to her.

She lifted up on her toes then gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"Thanks for an amazing birthday."

Present - Key West, Florida - Danielle 

I fidgeted with the sleeves of my dress, in an effort to find some warmth, as I leaned over the balcony and looked out into the water. The stars shined in the dark sky and the occasional boat horn sounded off in the distance.

I almost couldn't hear them though thanks to the loud pop music behind me. The country club ballroom was filled with floating balloons and flashing lights.

The loud music spilled out from the doorway as someone exited the chaos inside. I turned to see who was interrupting my quiet moment. 

Dylan's smile was contagious. She was absolutely beaming. Her purple ball gown flowed around her and despite spending the last three hours dancing the night away with all of her friends her hair and makeup were still perfect.

"Hey there birthday girl," I said. "Won't you be missed?"

She twirled around with a happy giggle. Her dress fluttered up in the air making her look like a princess in one of those teen movies she loves.

"Tonight, has been so perfect!" she gushed. "I wanted to step outside and thank you. None of this would have been possible if it weren't for you."

I felt the blush warm my cheeks as I waved her off, "Nonsense."