Mama *Trigger warning*

Present - Miami, Florida - James

"June."

She smiled at me the way she used to. All doe-eyed and cute. I was relieved to realize it did nothing for me. That look used to turn me into putty, but now? It just annoyed me.

"Is there something I can help you with?" I asked.

"Was that her?" she asked. "The girl who opened the door. Was that Dylan?"

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. Of course, it was her. As much as I hated the woman who stood before me, there was no denying that Dylan looks exactly like June did when she was fifteen.

You probably wouldn't know it now. Because it looks like June has a new nose and well... her breasts have gone up a few cup sizes.

"It was," is all I could say.

"Oh, my God!" she squealed, and it hurt my ears. "Can I see her? Oh, I would love to talk with her!"

"No," I said. I glared at the woman in front of me. No way in hell was this bitch getting anywhere near my daughter.

"But..." she began but I cut her off.

"You signed paperwork ten years ago giving up your rights as her mother," I reminded her.

"My lawyer is working on that," she said. "I was in an emotionally distressed state. I should not have been making such decisions in my condition."

"What? How the hell do you think you're gonna swing that?" I asked. "Better yet what the fuck are you doing here? How did you even find us?"

"This is going to be hard for me, so I need you to let me get through it before you say anything, okay?" she said.

I rolled my eyes and motioned for her to talk.

"Donald and I have been trying for a baby for a few years now. He wants someone to pass everything down to. Well, when one year turned into two, we knew something was wrong." she explained then took a deep breath. "Turns out I'm infertile."

"But," I began but she held up a hand to stop me.

Tears gathered in her eyes as she said, "Six months before I left you. I had an abortion."

It took a second for what she said to sink in. She had been pregnant.

"Was it mine?" I asked.

She nodded her head as a few tears slipped down her cheek. It took everything in me not to slam this door in her face. I was pissed and heartbroken.

"The doctor who did the operation, botched it. I can't have kids Jamie," she said.

"Don't call me that," I growled at her.

"Donald is willing to accept Dylan as his heir though," she plowed on, ignoring me. "Our lawyer said because I filed the dismissal of parental rights just a month after my abortion it can be considered null in void due to my emotional state."

"You're not getting my daughter," I said still glaring at her. The nerve she has to come to my home and not only tell me that I could have had another kid right now, but that she wants the one thing that means the world to me.

"You don't understand," she cried. "Donald will leave me."

"Guess you'll know what it feels like, huh?" I said. It was a low blow but after all the bullshit she just spat I didn't care.

Before she could respond the door was ripped open next to me and a warm body pressed against my side.

I looked down and if this had been a cartoon my tongue would have rolled out of my mouth and my eyes would have turned into bulging hearts. Danielle stood next to me barefoot her hair still wet and in my high school football jersey. I didn't even realize I still had that.