Chapter 1

Peeta and I walked fast to the cornucopia. Well, I walked fast, Peeta couldn't because of his leg.

"Come on" I hissed. We have to be first there. Only then we should be safe. Only then we would have an advantage.

It was the finale. Only three tributes were left. We and Cato. Because of the rule change Peeta and I could go home, so it was two against one. But that would be too easy, right?

Peeta grabbed my arm, so he could walk better. We really had to hurry up. The arena already began to darken.

"Katniss, slow down. He won't be there. He knows it's two against one."

Peeta tried to calm me down, but it didn't work.

I turned to him. "The gamemakers will make him come to us. They won't wait until we find him. That would be too boring."

He knew I was right. The capitol wanted a bloody ending. They were disgusting, but I couldn't care less right now. I had to make sure that I would come home. Back to Prim. Back to Gale. I even wanted to go back to mum. And I would do anything to go back. I just had to kill the two boys. Yes, Peeta too. The gamemakers were going to revoke the rule change anyways. They only wanted to make it more interesting.

"Finally!" Peeta sighed behind me. I drew my attention to the end of the woods. The golden cornucopia glowed in the darkness.

We stopped in the middle of the grass area around the cornucopia. I wanted to climb it but Peeta didn't. His leg was too bad.

"See, I told you he wouldn't be here. Not yet."

I slowly nodded at his comment and observed the nearest trees. Where was he? I repeated the question over and over again in my head until I saw a figure running out of the woods.

"There he is" I exclaimed, smiling a bit. Then I quickly pointed my bow at him. I let my arrow fly and I instantly knew he had a body armour. It deflected the arrow. It wouldn't even got to his heart. I missed.

I heard Peeta saying "Shit". This situation was more dangerous for him than for me. He was weak because of his leg and he had no weapon.

I watched Cato getting nearer and nearer. But instead of slowing down, he got faster. When he passed us and ran towards the cornucopia, I got skeptical. Was he running away from something? I quickly turned my head into the direction where Cato came from. Before I saw the wolves I heard them. I didn't think twice, I just ran behind Cato and screamed to Peeta.

"Hurry up! Mutations are coming. Come on!"

Cato climbed the Cornucopia and ten seconds later I reached it too. Peeta followed fast.

"Climb!" He helped me up. I made sure I was stable, then I stretched out my hand. Peeta grabbed it and I pulled him next to me. We went a bit in the middle so we couldn't slip. I looked again for Cato. His shadow was a few metres behind Peeta. For a second I caught his glance. Then he attacked.

"Aahh" I heard Peeta scream. He was in a hopeless fight with Cato. We all knew Peeta couldn't win this. Cato's sword touched Peeta's skin a few times. I thought every time it was his end. Until I realised that Cato didn't want to kill Peeta. For now.

When Peeta looked at me pleading for help, I pointed to Cato's sword. I could kill them both right now, but I wanted to make this battle more interesting.

I guessed Peeta understood me because in the next moment he had kicked the sword out of Cato's hands. It landed in between the mutations.

Now Peeta seemed more confident, he even smiled provocative at Cato. A big fault. Before Peeta could react and before I could get an arrow, Cato won the upper hand. He put Peeta in a head lock. Then he smirked at me.