Chapter 3

His eyes wandered around searching from something. Then they met mine. His lovely icy blue eyes glowed. A big smile appeared on his face. I didn't think twice. I ran and jumped into his arms. The butterflies in my stomach went crazy, when he held me protectively. It was like in the arena. I felt save. I never wanted to let him go. But when I heard Caesar Flickerman's voice, I knew I had to. Our mentors and stylists were long gone and already on the stage.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this years victors of the hunger games. Cato Hadley and Katniss Everdeen, the girl on fire!"

A big applause came from the audience. Some screamed our names, others whistled. We went on stage. The bright light hit my eyes and I immediately grapped Cato's hand. Nobody could hurt me now. I had Cato.

We walked to the red couch that was next to Caesar's seat. The other years it had been a chair just like Caesar's but now that there were two victors it had to be something bigger.

When we sat down, Caesar turned to us.

"This is so exciting! Isn't it folks? Two victors!"

Everybody screamed in agreement.

I just smiled shyly.

"So, Katniss. I see your role is still being our girl on fire. May I say you look fabulous today?" He let out his typical laugh.

"Thank you!" I smiled. "But you have to praise Cinna and of course Octavia, Venia and Flavius. It's their work."

Caesar nodded and asked his next question, this time directed to Cato.

"We all saw you as the vicious boy that was determined to win. Your chances were also the highest. But why did you risk your victory for Katniss?"

Cato let out a quick laugh. I bet he knew that this question would come. And I hoped for this question because I wanted to know his answer.

"First of all, I didn't really risk my victory. I'm here so I won. That's all I wanted. But back to the question."

Everybody was quiet. Even Caesar didn't interrupt him.

"When I watched the reapings and saw her volunteer for her sister, I was surprised. There are always siblings of someone who is reaped but there was never a volunteer in district 12. That's why she caught my attention. And when she stood there on the stage, she really looked scared but she also had like fire in her eyes. You could instantly see that she's a fighter.

I watched her in training to see if she has some special skills but she always did these survival things. That's why I was really impressed when I saw her score.

In that evening I decided to go on the roof because I thought that there had to be a tribute, or more. I was relieved when I saw that it was her.

Then I got to know her and immediately thought I had to protect her because only she deserves the victory. It was that kind of decision that you make but never know why."

Wow. I was speechless. He made it look like I was someone special but I was definitely not.

"That's a really impressive story, Cato. I never knew that careers can have such a big heart!" Caesar laughed but that was the wrong moment for a laugh. Cato just gave this really cute speech but Caesar being Caesar destroyed the moment.

Cato and I also laughed, just to be polite.

The audience seemed to love what he just said. They were all doing 'Aaawh's and smiled.

Then we were asked many other questions, mostly about our families.

"Okay, one last question before we're going to watch three hour summary of the Games. I think everybody here is waiting impatiently for the answer. Me too, I wanted to ask you this since the Games ended!"