Chapter Twenty One

After dinner, I helped to clean up and after we all sat in the living room, save for Miles' dad who had to finish up some things for work.

"So," Maeve squeezed herself between Miles and I on the couch, her form facing me. "Do you still have a little space for an extra bridesmaid?"

"Yeah I guess," I shrugged. "You want in?"

She nodded with a wide smile on her face, "yeah."

"Alright, if you're free tommorow we can go-"

"I'm free tommorow, anytime at all," she cut in.

"Okay then," I laughed lightly. "I'll pick you up, say ten?"

"I'll be ready," she hugged me. "Thank you so much," with that she stood up and went back to her previous position on the other side of the room.

"You ready to go? It looks like it might rain," Miles stated. "Though I'm surprised why."

I shrugged then looked outside the window, though I couldn't really see anything. "Yeah sure, before it starts to rain."

Miles stood up and reached for the glass of wine I had in my hand, I gave it to him and he walked towards the kitchen.

I stood up and pulled the strap of my purse over my shoulder and Dorothea noticed.

"You're leaving already?" She turned her attention to me and everyone else in the room slowly did too.

"Yeah, it's like it's going to rain and it won't be funny," I chuckled slightly.

"You know you're welcome to stay over right?" Beverly said.

I shrugged, "I wouldn't want to incovinience you so," I smiled stiffly. "It's fine, Miles will get me home before it starts to rain."

"Okay if that's what you want," Beverly nodded and stood up.

I began to make my way to the front door when Miles reappeared from the kitchen. "You ready?"

"Yeah," I nodded. "Thank you so much for having me, I had a nice time tonight and the food was amazing." I said to Beverly and she smiled.

"You're welcome back anytime," she hugged me.

I said goodbye to the rest of the family and Miles and I walked back to his car. He opened the door for me as usual and I got it, my cheeks heating up once again.

The car ride home was spent in a comfortable silence, the radio playing softly in the background. When I had gotten home, Miles insisted on seeing me walk inside my house before he left.

The door wasn't open so I searched my purse for my keys but a groan left my lips when I realized I had forgotten my keys inside.

"Isn't the extra key somewhere?" Miles asked when he noticed what I was looking for.

"Yeah, it should be somewhere here," I walked to the flower pot on the floor and shifted it to check for the spare key I always kept behind it and I groaned again when I noticed that it wasn't there.

"You're kidding me!" I yelled out of frustration. "I'm very sure Funke used it and forgot to drop it back."

"She's probably sleeping," Miles began to knock on the door and after a minute of silence I began to bang my fist on the door yelling her name over and over again.

"She no dey oo, she don comot." (She's not in, she went out) My gate keeper said getting our attention.

"When?" I began to dial her number.