Chapter Ten. Duty

River

It had been sixteen years since the Seer, Nevaeh, foretold of the future of River's daughter. It was during a pack gathering to welcome a servant of the Goddess when her and River's mate's plans went awry.

The moment Nevaeh started to tell Sophie that her daughter was a latent wolf, within Andrew's hearing range, of course, was the exact moment that a two-year old Adam, Andrew's heir, went into the clearing, making a beeline for my Mia.

Since they were old enough to cogitate, Adam and Mia had been almost inseparable. They seemed to gravitate towards each other and seemed to sense when the other was in the same room. The adults knew that this might mean that they were mates. River knew that Andrew was hoping for this, as this meant that his son's mate had a strong bloodline.

Well, on her father's side, that is.

It helped that all of Mia's older brothers had shown exceptional talents as well. Jameson fighting abilities at six years old was that of a wolf about to shift; Jarick's intelligence was off the charts, but perhaps what drew Andrew's attention to him was an instance that happened just last year, when he was four years old, when he suddenly pulled Mia away from where an aggressive snake was apparently hiding, seconds before we all found out about the snake's existence. Andrew was also astounded at Jagger's speed. He was running full on at two years old, and could surpass a five year old pup a year later, without breaking a sweat. But perhaps the son whom Andrew was most interested in was Jervin. Whenever Jervin was in the same room, everyone who was inside felt a burst of energy which didn't wane until Jervin left it.

River knew that Andrew had plans for his sons.

So seeing that her brothers were talented, Mia had a special place in Andrew's family. They even encouraged these play dates with their son. River knew that Andrew was waiting for Mia to show what her talent was, and was banking on him and his son getting to use that talent should Adam and Mia end up mates.

So when Nevaeh opened her mouth, saw Adam and then turned her eyes to a two-year old Mia, and said, "Your daughter will be the mate of this pack's future Alpha," Andrew was extremely pleased.

However, her next words would wipe that smile off his face.

"But there is a chance that she might be a latent wolf, given that her mother has this same fate."

All who heard the Seer's words began to look at River's daughter in a bad way. How could this girl, a daughter of a latent wolf and who could possibly have the same affliction be their future Luna? They all swore that they would never let such an abomination be one-half of their pack's leadership.

Andrew, meanwhile, knowing of her brother's abilities, her father's fighting prowess, and her mother's previously unknown capabilities, hoped that she was not a latent wolf. He figured that if Mia and his son mated, he would be able to tap into the family's talents and use them for his own purposes.

River, upon Nevaeh's counsel, and to discourage the favor Andrew was beginning to show his daughter, began treating her as Nevaeh and his mate previously agreed. Although it broke his heart to not be able to cuddle with his Mia, or to dote on her as a father should, especially as she was growing up, he had to make it appear to everyone that he detested the two most important females in his life: his mate, for not being able to shift; and his daughter, for possibly sharing the same weakness.

But during the nights, while she was asleep, he stood silent in his daughter's room, his mate in his arms, watching over Mia, guarding her in her sleep, then bestowing the softest kiss on her forehead before whispering, "I will always love you, my Mia."