Chapter 3 ~ Holding On By A Broken Branch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Klaus, Elijah, Hayley, and Briar are all sitting in the Living Room of the Mikaelson's new home. Briar is sitting in a chair near the fireplace, Elijah is sitting directly across from her in another chair, Hayley is sitting on the arm of the couch and is facing Briar, while Klaus is standing to the side.

Elijah clears his throat in an attempt to break the awkward silence in the room. "Briar, you said that you had information on where the rest of Briar's men are hiding out. Can you please elaborate?" He asks and fixes the sleeve on his black suit.

Briar is taking a sip of her bourbon, but nods and swallows it. She then places the glass on a coaster beside her. "Yes, I do. I was in the bayou looking for answers about my family, when I stumbled across a were-witch, Felicia High, who told me that she had answers on my family. Specifically my relation to Astra..." Her voice trails over, and she sighs slightly.

Hayley sighs and twirls her glass of bourbon. "How does this have anything to do with Astra's men?" She asks breaking the silence.

Briar lets out a light sigh. "More than you'd think. Apparently centuries ago, a member of my family - the Sinclair's, died and left a piece of property to a woman name Astra Lateau. Apparently someone in my family married, and there daughter is Astra. Her last name is different though. Anyone, that's not important. According to the record department of Louisiana, a young brunette came in and claimed the property."

"It had to have been Kristina." Hayley cuts in, and everyone looks to her in curiosity. "Kristina is the new Regent of the witches, and is protecting Astra for some reason." She explains and swigs down the rest of her drink.

Klaus lets out a slight growl at this. "Why wasn't I made aware of this? If a traitor is living in my city, I should know!" He exclaims.

"No offense Klaus, but you haven't exactly been involved with the city lately." Briar responds in a cold tone.

"Oh, please do elaborate for us Briar." Klaus says and gestures to the female.

Briar female clenches her jaw and snaps back in a cold yet knowing tone, "I think you know exactly what I mean, Klaus!"

Elijah interrupts before Klaus gets a chance to respond to Briar's comment. "That is enough, you two! Astra and the city is a problem for another day." He pauses and the pair scowls but stays silent. Elijah nods in acceptance. "Good. Now, Briar, please continue." He says and gestures to her.

Briar sighs and glances at Klaus quickly. "Anyway, like I was saying, an inspector was sent out there to make sure everything is okay with the building. He arrived unannounced, and swears that he saw a group of people living there, and blood stains. But, he doesn't remember ever talking to them or setting foot inside. However, his report clearly says that everything was fine inside." She pauses but no one seems to catch on.

"He was clearly compelled into writing one thing, but believing another! So I went out there and I was right. Astra's men are out there, and they are killing people - innocent people." She says and a titch of anger is in her voice, and she clenches her jaw.

Elijah looks to Klaus, and smirks. "I think it's time we pay a visit to this heathens." He states, and expects his brother to jump right on board.

But he doesn't. Instead, he grinds his teeth and sets his drink on the top of the fireplace. Without a word, he walks out and into his study. He closes the door firmly behind him, leaving everyone surprised. Briar and Elijah exchange a look, and then start to talk about attacking. Hayley, however, looks after Klaus with a worried look in her eyes.