Chapter 4

Moonriver Bar

Luna left Alaine and went to the bar her best friend recommended to her.

Apparently, she came too early at 8PM since the bar was still almost empty.

The bar was elegantly designed with modern touches of architecture. It was dim-lit but enough to see others and to appreciate the ambiance of the place.

"Madame, welcome." One of the waiters welcomed her.

Luna acknowledged him then went straight to the bar counter so that she could grab some drinks.

"What would you like to drink Madame?" Asked the bartender.

"Give me some fruit juice for now. The night is still young."

"One glass coming right up." The bar tender prepared her drink enthusiastically which made her giggle a bit.

This scene was what caugt the attention of the young man who just came in. Like her, he came too early since he had nothing much to do. Normally, he would not be seen hanging out in bars but tonight he felt he needed to release some tension. The engagement was already stressful enough and some things in the company did not help much.

He continued to look at the direction of the beautiful lady sitting in front of the counter. He could definitely see that she was very beautiful even in her side view. She looked comfortable sitting there but she still looked a bit awkward suggesting that she wasn't used to this kind of place. One part of his brain told him to go the other way but little did he notice that he was already heading toward her.

"Hi" Geoff approached the lady at the counter.

Luna turned to the voice. "Hi". She smiled showing her teeth.

Geoff was almost dumbstruck with just that smile. He decided that it was an understatement when he said that she was beautiful because for him, she was the most beautiful he'd seen.

Composing himself, he said "I notice that you're alone here. Mind if I join you?"

"I don't mind but let Ime warn you, I just asked him only a glass of juice for now ", pointing at the bartender.

Geoff found it cute. She acted innocently. He wondered if this lady was a professional actress because she was definitely good.

"Of course, the night is still young." He smiled.

"What would you like to have Sir?" The bar tender turned to him after handing the glass of juice to Luna.

"Let me have what she's trying right now."

"One moment."

Luna was sipping her juice when Geoff angled his body to her direction.

"May I have the honor of knowing the young lady's name?"

"It's Yves. How about you Sir?" She did not know why she gave her second name instead of her first. Maybe she got scared that the man in front might recognize her and sympathize with her.

"I'm Max. I was expecting I'll be the first customer today but you're earlier." He continued, encouraging a conversation. He was also not fond of sharing his first name to strangers.

"Well, let's just say that I came from a faraway place and my intention is really coming here to the bar so why waste my time at somewhere else." She smiled.

Again with that smile. He did not know that a person's smile could affect him so much. In his society, he had seen all kinds of women including the most beautiful ones but this lady with her air of independence and innocence was drawing him so much.

"I like that mindset- very straightforward."

"How about you? Why would you come to this bar this early?"

"To sober." He teased.

She chuckled.  "Oh, I guess I can't keep up with you."

"Just kidding. I normally don't come to bars. It just so happen that I'm in the area." He said charmingly.

She surveyed him from head to foot as if trying to check whether he was telling the truth or not. "Hmm, let me be rude but you know it's really quite difficult to believe you."

"Sure, you can be rude but saying your thoughts is not necessarily rude but tell me, why do you say that it's difficult to believe me?"

"Well, most  men of your stature that I know would like to hang out in places like this. Some to release the tension from their work, their life; some to gain connections; be with friends and of course just to have fun."

"And why do you know all of these?"

"I've heard from my brothers."

"Oh. I thought you always frequent the bars." He said. He felt relieved that she was not a regular.

"Not really but you know I think I regret exposing myself too less to this kind of environment."

"And why is that so?" He could not help but raise one eye brow.

"You sound like my protective brother." She chuckled and continued. " Well, of course, it's to get to know people."