THORN-COVERED VINES

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

SHE WAS WARNED- WHY HADN'T SHE FUCKING LISTENED? Bile crept up her throat like a growing vine that she desperately needed to get rid of. Hands around her ears muffled the sounds as her head spun; a whirlpool of emotions swirling as petals landed softly onto the disrupted water. Eyes wide, heart pounding, her legs failed her as she collapsed the ground in a heap of aching limbs which twitched as though thorns pricked at every centimeter of her skin. She wanted to scream but the oxygen couldn't reach her lungs and the pain in her chest as growing stronger with each passing moment.

Simultaneous laughter.

"I love you."

Reddened cheeks.

She pressed harder against her head, shaking all the sights and sounds that were seen and heard out of it. What did she not have that Yaoyorozu did? Hell, they were best friends and she had never heard anything about her before. So why now? Why when she was finally getting close to telling him? Pulling herself up, (y/n) leaned against the wall with fragmented breaths as tears fell from her closed eyes. She could feel her quirk begin to activate as vines wrapped around her arms, leaving behind deep cuts. She watched lazily as blood seeped from the cuts and stained the white blouse she wore.

Footsteps.

"Holy shit!"

Frantic hushed voices.

Her tired eyes opened to find a blonde and redhead hoisting her to some unknown place. Louder yelling and pleas for someone to do something. She felt light as though she was flying before hitting something stiff. Her eyes opened once more to find herself in her room before shutting her eyes permanently.

(y/n) awoke to Kirishima pacing at the foot of her bed while Bakugo sat slouched against an adjacent wall. As she sat up, her body ached in protest, causing a small groan to escape her reddened lips. "NISHIYA!" Bakugo jumped up at the sound of Kirishima's voice, who at the moment was crushing (y/n) in a spine-crushing hug. She gave him a tap on the back indicating he was hurting her, causing him to back away quickly. "I'M SO SORRY, ARE YOU OKAY?!" The girl nodded hesitantly, looking down at her bandaged arms. They were red, white splotches left where blood didn't reach.

"W-what happened to me?" asked (y/n) with a stutter as she ran her fingers over the stained bandages. "We have no fucking idea. One second me and Eijirou are walking down the hallway and next thing we know we see you bleeding out behind a wall," grumbled Bakugo, frowning while he took a seat on her mattress. "Eijirou? Wait a second-" The blonde's face turned a bright shade of red as he jumped off the mattress and screamed. Kirishima shyly turned to face him, "Katsuki, she doesn't know." Bakugo stuttered incoherently whilst backing up into the same wall he had been sitting against earlier. "I-I thought she saw us together!" he exclaimed, pointing angrily at her confused expression. "Katsu, she was practically dead when we found her..."

"... speaking of which, there were petals and thorns surrounding you and we weren't the only ones in the hallway. Todoroki and Yaoyorozu were there."

(y/n) froze at the sound of his name, bile crawling back up her throat along with some unknown blockage. She leaped out of her bed, stumbling over the haphazardly strewn shoes and clothes on the floor. (y/n) slammed the bathroom door open, finding herself leaning over the toilet and throwing up her insides. It didn't stop though- spit, blood, mucus, thorns, and petals flew into the toilet water. She felt like it was going on for hours, her coughing up all of the feelings that were poisoning her. Finally, the last petal fell into the dish, her hand brushing away a mixture of blood and saliva from her mouth shakily.

"Nishiya."

(y/n) looked away in shame as her two friends stood in the doorway, watching as she weakly flushed the contents down. Thorny vines wrapped around her arms and legs again before retracting, leaving behind cuts which were thankfully not as deep. With a stumble, she stood up and reached for bandaids which laid behind the mirror. She sat on the edge of the bathtub, one-by-one placing flower-patterned bandaids on the smaller cuts. She didn't look up once.

Footsteps approached her once more and she found two pairs of feet standing before her. Looking up, she saw the fearful expressions of Kirishima and Bakugo. "It's called the Hanahaki Disease. It only affects plant-based quirk users like me. It happens when there is unreciprocated love," explained (y/n), "my dad and brother always warned me of it but I just didn't listen."

Kirishima placed a hand on the girl's shoulder, taking a seat beside her. "It's Todoroki isn't it?" (y/n) nodded as Bakugo shook his head in disapproval. He took a seat on the other side of her, glaring at the floor in anger. Kirishima took a bandage and peeled off the backing, placing it onto a cut she had missed, "he's a dense one, that's for sure." She frowned as she fiddled with the now empty box of bandaids. Her hands trembled, his name shaking her soul terribly.

"This is all his fault," grumbled Bakugo, "but until this whole shit storm gets resolved then we'll help you out." (y/n)'s eyes glimmered in hope, thornless vines, covered in blooming flowers wrapping around her hands. "Thank you. Both of you."

She smiled at the two, distracting them from the now thorn-covered vines with wilting flowers.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂