Chapter 15- The trial

I awoke in the morning, a good feeling in my heart. I galloped down to breakfast. However, when I got there all the students were whispering. As I went by them I picked up things like:

"Professor Faivre?"

"A murder"

"Who would do such a thing?"

"They've opened a case, they found new evidence."

My stomach dropped.

Without looking for Giselle, I went straight over to the Ombrelune table.

I searched up and down the row. Margot and her friends were nowhere to be seen.

My heart banged on my chest. It wanted to escape. I wanted to escape. I was sick with fear. My vision became blurry. I swayed like a pendulum back and forth. My breath was getting caught in my throat.

"Maria?" someone's voice echoed.

They grabbed my arm tightly.

"Margot. I have to find Margot" I uttered, breathlessly.

"You don't look well. Let's get you to the Nurse's office"

" I need to find Margot."

Now I clutched at my throbbing head. I wouldn't give in, not now.

"You're not well"

"No. No. Margot...."

I stumbled and fell into a whirlwind of darkness.

Blurred lights shimmered in front of me.

"Are you alright?" Giselle asked.

Slowly, I sat up.

Then, I told her everything.

I sobbed and sobbed and like the amazing person she was, she just sat and listened.

"So this is why you didn't want us investigating?"

I nodded.

"I am so sorry. You should've told me earlier."

"I swore not to. I made a promise to my family. I know I've told you things before like about me moving but this was serious-"

"I understand. It's okay, you don't need to explain anything to me."

"My mother and father will protect Margot, what of the rumors? Juliette, Emmeline, and I will suffer from this."

"Not if I have anything to say about it."

"You still want to be my friend. Knowing what you know?"

She stared imploringly at me.

"I will never stop being your friend."

She slid her hand across the hospital sheets and grabbed mine softly. I smiled weakly.

"Thank you" I whispered.

The case was open for weeks without a shred of news. After a while, the gossip died down and I felt relieved. But nothing lasts forever.

One afternoon, after lunch, Giselle and Valerie, and I, were heading to potions.

Out of nowhere, a multitude of witches and wizards came storming down the halls. They parted the sea of students with one glare. Everyone whispered, staring at them in awe.