TWO GIRLS

South Korea, Seoul,

Three years later.

"Park Soo Yeon."

"네 [Nae=yes]!"

My name is Park Soo Yeon; my name is Park Seo Yeon. The girl repeated it as much as possible. In case she forgot, though, she did not suffer from amnesia. The name was only three years old, and so was Soo Yeon's personality.

Who was I? I was a cherished daughter and a beloved sister; I was Seo Hye Mi, Soo Yeon reflected.

It was necessary to emphasize it now and then like a sanity check. The young woman needed to remember the happy times when she had a loving family.

Seo Hye Mi died three years ago with her brother and father. A new occupant came to live in her place, the gentle and friendly Soo Yeon.

"Can I borrow your homework, Soo Yeon?"

Soo Yeon handed over her notebook, "sure, I did it earlier on, here."

"You're the best friend ever."

The girl's words fell into a bottomless pit of Soo Yeon's ears. They rang hollow, worthless, and they made no sense. Still, Soo Yeon returned a smile that comforted the person who pronounced them.

Homework borrower Kyeong Min Ha, an unconditional BTS fan in the same class, nominated herself as Park Soo Yeon's friend. Soo Yeon did not shake her off; useless people do not exist; she was sure Min Ha would one day prove her utility.

17-year-old Park Soo Yeon attended the prestigious Global Academy Arts school, where most of Korea's blooming idols studied.

Why did Soo Yeon choose such an institute?

Because it's from there, the teenager followed the rumors.

Who is dating who?

Who will star in the next hit drama or be in Running man?

GA Arts was better than being in any newspaper office. Affiliated with GA International, it topped schools' results, ranking above every national statistic establishment. The school also nursed the country's golden eggs, children of chaebols [fortune families, family-owned conglomerates] destined to conquer the world of finance, economics, and technology.

Soo Yeon was an average student at this institute for the elite. The Parks family lived aboard, and as far as everybody was concerned, Soo Yeon was an American citizen. Every time the thought of her fictitious identity and how she came to study at GA Arts crossed her mind, Soo Yeon's lips curled up into a smile. A tiny lip twitches interpreted by those around as sweetness. This feature, added to her small stature, long black hair, and baby-like face, made the teen look vulnerable.

가짜 [Gajja=fake] people are so blind, I'm a fake, my name is false, and my past is unreal, yet the mirage is perfect, no one sees the obvious,가짜,가짜,가짜, the girl thought as she doodled away on her sketchbook.

"Have you heard the rumor Soo Yeon?"

"Which rumor?"

Min Ha's eyes widened. It was evident she imploded by her eagerness to spill the news. A tidal wave of information that only excited gossip girls like herself.

"Song Hi, Korea's beloved Songi Hi is pregnant," Min Ha gasped and placed a hand on her forehead in despair.

"It's only-."

"아니요 [Aniyo=No], it was on NETIZEN," Min Ha said as she shook her head to counter any protest.

NETIZEN, a website as old as Soo Yeon's existence. In three years, it gained popularity. It was the place where a rumor became a reality.