Starting Over

I never knew three simple words could change your life until now. I was walking down the hall and he bumped in to me! His name was Richard. He was at least 5’7 and had sandy blond hair that framed his face perfectly. “Hey what’s up” those were the words he said. Not, “oh sorry, I didn’t see you there.” or “my bad.” but ‘‘hey what’s up.”

    I was so side tracked that I almost didn’t realize he was smiling. Not your laughing smile and defiantly not your fake smile, but a real smile. I couldn’t come up with the words to say what I wanted. All I managed to say was “well I was walking.”

    “Oh that’s my fault I wasn’t watching where I was going, but I’m glad I wasn’t.” This couldn’t get any better. Then he said, “Haven?”

    “Yeah?” oh my gosh he knows my name. I didn’t think he remembered me.

    “I’ve missed seeing you in the hall. Where have you been hiding?” the words slipped off his lips so beautifully. I was speechless.

    “You know just around the places you haven’t been.” I try to keep my cool, but I stumble in my words. I hope he doesn’t notice.

    Just as I said that a smile returned on his face. This was only the best day ever. It started with me getting an email from my teacher saying I won president a of the leadership team, then I got a hundred on my test. I couldn’t imagine a better start to my day and its not even noon yet.

    “I wish I would have run into you sooner.”          

    Without thinking I said, “me too.”

    There’s nothing that could ruin this moment. Until, a loud ringing rung throughout the whole school. People around us that I haven’t noticed before begun rushing to class.  “Ill see you soon.” He yelled as he was pushed toward his class three doors down from mine.

    “Yeah.” I breathed. Why did the bell have to ring right when we were talking? Even though it’s probably for the best. I just wish I could have talked to him longer or I could of at least gotten his number.

    Just as I walk in Mr. Taylor’s room, he called my name. “Here”

    “Glad to see you. Now class pull out ‘the scarlet letter’. Sarah began to read at the top of page fifty four.”

    She read for what seemed for hours. I couldn’t keep up if I tried. My mind was somewhere else. All I could think about was what happened before the bell rung.  

“Miss Pepper.” “Miss Pepper.” Distracted by my thoughts I come to my senses when I realized Mr. Taylor was calling on me to read.

    “I’m sorry Mr. Taylor I was distracted. Where are we?”

    “If you would have been late to my class you wouldn’t be distracted. We are on page seventy-two. If you would pick up.” I begun to read as I say all the right words I don’t even know what I am reading. It seems like no one noticed. I must have been reading correctly out loud but not in my head.

    The bell rings to dismiss us from class. As I grab my belongings Mr. Taylor speaks. “Miss Pepper, if you will stay a little longer I would like to talk with you.”

    “Yes sir. I have time to talk.”

    “Okay well what is going on with you lately? You’re late to my class for talking to some guy, you’re getting distracted, and you’re getting behind. Haven your one of my top students and I suspect you to stay on top of everything even when you get distracted by a guy.”