The New Guy

We sat in silence most of the way to where ever it was we were going. I just wander if who he was texting before we left had anything to do with it. The name in the phone when I glanced read “R.J.” who is that? His phone has been vibrating in the cup holder the whole trip. Maybe he’s in a group chat or the “R.J” person is trying to get him to answer.  My mind slips away as the trees disappear. I go blank like nothing was happening. All the thinking must have distracted me, I didn’t notice that we have passed three town signs and that Richard had been talking. I hope he wasn’t asking a question, if so I didn’t get any of it. I glance at my phone to see the time. “Eight forty three.” Dang it’s late. I hope we get there soon I have to pee breaking me from my thoughts, he pulls over at a gas station. He looks at me and says,  “come on slow poke” as he gets out of the car. We walk in and he goes directly to the back. I smell food. Yum. I haven’t noticed how hungry I was till my stomach started growling as we sat down. After we order I get up. “Where are you going missy?” he playfully smiles at me with a little chuckle.

“To the bathroom. You’ve kept me in that car forever.” I return the smile while walking backwards. Then suddenly I back into a guy. I turned around to say sorry. But he didn’t even notice. When he saw Richard.

“Hey buddy!” He says walking to the table I was just sitting at. He takes my seat. Like he didn’t realize I was there with him.

I come back to see that the man was carrying on a conversation about some party that happened a few weeks ago but was apparently “the most creative, assonating, and amazing” party he’s ever been too. Emphasis on the “amazing” part.

I smile politely at the nice man who I have no clue who is. “Oh your back. Its about time this dude never shuts up.” He laughs like that didn’t sound rude. “I’m just kidding he’s a catch.” I keep my smile as a sign that I don’t know where to sit or what to do. “Oh I almost forgot. Haven this is R.J. He’s a good friend of mine from when I was growing up.”

“Hey.” He says. I say hey back to I seem nice. Finally Richard scoots over so I can sit down. I whisper thanks and he nods.

“Sorry for bumping into you earlier. It was an accident.” I say trying to not be rude or weird. I don’t want to make Richard look bad in front of his childhood friend.

“Oh it’s fine honey it was also my fault. I wasn’t looking and I was looking for this goof I didn’t pay attention to where I was going. I’m the one who should being saying sorry.”

I don’t know how this is going is he being nice because I’m a girl or the fact that I’m with Richard? Either way I don’t know if I like him calling me “honey.” So I just nod and wait for the waitress to bring me my food.

A few seconds later she walks over with a hand full of food and I smile so big she and everyone at the table laughs. “There you go Darlin’ a grilled cheese with fries and a sprit and for you sir, a burger with fries and a Dr. Pepper. What about you sir?” She jesters to R.J.

“A sweet tea and a burger will be great. Thanks.”

“Will that be all?”

“I think so. Thank you.” Richard replies to her question. She nods as she walks away. She seems nice. “So how have you been dude?”

“Great actually! I’m dating this really cool chick she is a little younger than me. I’ve been accepted into Mississippi State. I also moved out of my parents place. They started charging me rent so I got my own place and my girl friend comes over all the time. I have been doing great at school but I’m so ready to graduate.”

“Yeah dude that sounds great. I can’t wait to graduate either, but I’m not ready to leave this beautiful girl behind. She means the world to me and there’s nothing I wouldn’t do for her.” he smiles and grabs my hand. This makes me so happy. I can’t believe he told his childhood friend that.