The Ride Home

He half cracks a smile and kisses me on the cheek. Did this just happen? Him kiss my cheek. In public. I can’t imagine him doing it again. But only to be surprised even more he takes my hand into his. All I can do smile one great big smile. Next thing I know this guy comes up to us. “Hey Richard. Are y’all dating?”

“No. Not yet any way.” His smile grows bigger and all I can do is laugh. “What?”

“Oh nothing.” I say trying to pass my self off.

Just then his phone rings. As he digs it out of his pocket I read what I can of the name. “Sorry dude I gotta take this.” The name reads ‘mom.’ “Yeah I’m leaving school now. I’ll be there shortly. Okay. Okay. Yeah. It’s in my truck. Alright.” Is all I can catch of the conversation he just had with his mother. “Hey Haven. Do you wanna go with me somewhere?”

“Depends on where.” He looks worried. “I’m kidding I’d love to.”

“Good lets go.” He says as we begin walk toward his truck. Just like he said, was parked in parking spot one twenty two. 

            I watched nervously as hundreds of tress pass. It wasn’t that he was a bad driver; I just don’t know where we were going. Plus I have never been this way before. He reaches over and grabs me by the hand, “is something wrong?”

            “No I’m just curious.”

            “Haven, you can tell me anything. I’ll always be here for you no matter what.”

            “Its nothing really. I’m just a little worried about us.”

            “What about us? Yes I want to be with you, but I don’t want to ask you out after us just talking for a day. I want to get to know you more. I want to be able to call you mine. To take you places. I just… I’m not ready. Plus I want to do it right when I do.”

            “That’s some of it but not all. I’m worried that soon we will be like before.”

            “I couldn’t do that I would never hurt you. I will have to leave you for college but I will come back every chance I get just for you.”

            As the day begins to fade, I realize it’s already six in the after noon. This day has gone by so fast and I had almost forgotten that it was my birthday. My birthday: the day that my parents told me would bring. What was it? Oh yeah, surprises unimagined. I thought that they were just being weird like they usually are but I have been feeling a little bit strange lately. They may have given me the plague or some stupidly horrible thing. But I’m putting that thought off till later.

        As I am watching the nature flash by my window, I feel an excruciating pain in my back just below the shoulder blades. So I clench my teeth and ride the powerful wave of pain. My muscles tighten together and my hands are in tight fists. Suddenly i can't stay seated anymore. "Are you okay? Do I need to stop the car?" I nod and he does. That was the last think I remember before my vision goes and I black out.