Strange things

“Watch out!” I scream as a car comes speeding into our lane. He swerves as we almost hit the other car. “Thank god.” I let out a huff. I can’t believe that happened. Just as he nods we hear a loud clashing noise. The car that almost hit us hit someone else.

 “Oh my gosh I hope they are okay. They shouldn’t have been speeding though, so maybe they needed it.” He says as we continue on our way.

“No one needed anything. No matter what no one deserves to die. That’s a terrible thing to think.”

“I know I’m sorry, but what about the robbers and murderers?”

“They had something happen to them that drove them mad. Nothing is painful enough to make you where you can’t live unless you kill your self that’s different. But what do you think the parents will think? What about their kids? Family? See everyone has a family or someone to love him or her. Not one person deserves it.”

“I understand. I guess I just haven’t thought about it that way. That does make since. I should be more careful.”

            I finally see the Hattiesburg sign. We have made it. I can’t believe how long it took us to get to a place that isn’t even that far away. As we go down some back roads I see a figure. A small one but something or someone. “Is that a person?” I ask when we come upon the creature.

“No darling that’s a dear.” He says just as it runs into to road in front of us. Richard slams on the brakes. And the deer stands there watching us. The fur is so beautiful standing there in the headlights, with the little white spots lying upon his back. “They do this sometimes they will just stand and stare. Its so fascinating watching the way the animal just absorbs its surroundings.”

Richard kills the car to let the lights go off, leaving the deer in the dark. He cranks the car after waiting a few minutes. To be honest I didn’t expect to see the deer still there. He just stands and waits.

“Do you think he wants to be hit?” I ask as he starts going at the engine to scare the poor animal. Still nothing just waiting.  I don’t know how long he can keep this up. “ Here hold on, I’m going to try and grab him so we can keep him as a pet.” He says and opens his door. I watch in aw and laugh as he creeps up on the animal. He pets its head and feeds it something. Then grabs it. Putting him between us. I’m not real good with animals, but this one is kind of soothing. “That’s how you do it.” He says laughing. I join him and glance at my phone. Nothing. Not one single thing from my mom. I expected her to check up on me.

“Are we there?”  I say but before he answers he stops the truck. “I guess so.” I laugh.

We step out into the cool breeze. The place is so abandoned. What are we doing? As I think to my self, Richard pokes my arm. “What?”

“Shhh.” I look at him in confusion, just as I see someone coming. A tall, large person. I hope he don’t try and do anything.  I start backing away as he comes closer.  I can feel the tingling in my back. I guess they come back when I scared. As they sprout Richard looks at me and stands in front. I close my eyes really tight hoping that the man will disappear. The wind gets stronger, pushing me away from the ground. Carrying me away. “Help!” I scream and Richard looks back unsure what to do.

“Use the wings.” He says pointing. I try my hardest to concentrate on moving them, back and forward. I close my eyes and hope for the best. I can’t believe this is happening to me of all people. This is so fun. I open my eyes and enjoy the ride and swoop down to grab Richard. Before the man can do anything. Just in time too cause the man was closing in on him. “Thank you.” I nod and keep flying.

“Don’t we need to be here?” I ask as we fly above the building we were in front of.

“Yes.” He says in a small voice. What is this place? I try to stop flapping and go back to the building. I can’t control it. There is nothing I can do. I stop flapping but I can’t stop moving. I wanted to land on my feet safely and easily. But before I can try harder we hit something strong, large, and painful. 

I open my eyes to see that I have moved. I’m no longer at the old building. There’s no Richard to be found. I look around and wipe my eyes to see that I am in my room. “Mom” I scream. She rushes in and gives me a confused look. “What day is it?”

“ Your birthday, what other day silly?” what just happened? I run to the bathroom and look at my back in the mirror. Nothing not a single trace of wings. Too bad it was all a lucid dream.