Chapter 12

Everything’s so blurry… why? And why is everything spinning? There was flashing lights and the most annoying sirens ever. I knew they were trying to help. I knew it was their job to help me, but I didn’t want their help. I wanted to see Josh again. The sun was starting to come up, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he had been the one who called… but if he was the one who called why did he leave? 

“Oh my god…” I could hear Jen sobbing. “Casey!” Did I really look that bad. I felt almost perfectly fine, besides my wrist and head. I tried to sit up so I could see where she was. I immediately found out what a horrible idea that was. Everything just spun faster and my vision nearly went away fully. 

“Don’t try to sit up ma’am,” I could hear someone talking, but I didn’t know who it was. I felt my body being lifted onto a stretcher or something, and that’s when I realized I was bleeding. Where the blood was coming from was still all a mystery… I was pretty sure it was from my back. I had fallen on something sharp I guess, and until they picked me up whatever had stabbed me had kept me from bleeding, and now it was gone. 

“She’s loosing blood to quickly I don’t know what to do,” The woman’s voice was muffled, but it didn’t take a genius to guess that she was new. Everything suddenly got a whole lot blurrier, and then for a second I felt fine. I think that’s when my heart stopped.  

Beep… beep… beep… I could hear the heart monitor, as well as people talking quietly, but I was a little scared to open my eyes again. Was I even alive? Slowly though I managed to pry them open and look around the room. My mom was there, and so was Lyle and Jen… but I didn’t see Josh. Where was he?

“Casey?” My mother seemed worried, but I felt a lot better. 

“Yes mom?” I asked. Was something wrong and I didn’t even know? She sighed in relief. 

“The doctors said you had a concussion,” Lyle told me. He was looking at me like a wounded animal, and I hated it. 

“Well I’m fine,” I spat back, not meaning to sound so rude. 

“So you remember everything?” Jen asked, and her voice shook a little. 

“Yes… what’s wrong?” I replied with a question. Why were they all acting so weird? What had happened?

“You lied to our faces that’s what’s wrong!” Lyle shouted glaring at me know. “and you almost got yourself killed! On top of all it I had to drag Josh away from you because if he had stayed he would have gotten himself arrested.”

“Josh?” that’s right… he wasn’t here. “where is he?” Lyle growled, shook his head, and pinched the bridge of his nose. He was probably thinking about how stupid I was, and I really couldn’t disagree right now.  

“He’s at home,” Jen looked worried as she told me. “He hasn’t left his room since… well you know.” 

“I’ve only been asleep for a couple hours though… right?” It had only been an hour at the most.

“Casey,” My mom spoke. She looked angry, but happy at the same time. “You were unconscious for a week.”

“What? No that can’t be right… it hasn’t been that long,” I stuttered confused. 

“Fine,” Lyle was in a horrible mood. “six days. You were dead for one of them. Now I want you to tell me exactly what happened, and why you thought it was okay to be that stupid.” 

“Lyle she needs more rest,” Jen started to protest. 

“And I need to know the facts so I can tell myself that this is all her fault she’s here,” He sighed, and closed his eyes trying to calm down. “Being a monster hunter isn’t an option… you’re born like that. I need to be able to tell myself that this wasn’t the monster’s fault so I don’t try to kill him.”