Chapter 9

"Don't... don't hurt him please," I managed to beg even though I was nearly paralyzed with fear. He chuckled quietly pulling me after him as he started to walk to an old car.

"That was much too easy," He told me with a smirk. "I actually wanted to be able to use the gun."

"I came without a fight," I reminded him, my voice slightly shaking. "so you can't hurt him... you promised." The boy opened the passenger side door and pushed me in.

"Actually," the boy said in a very smug tone. "I never promised," with those words he slammed the door shut. I sat for a minute, not even comprehending what he just said. Then it all made sense. The boy was still going to try to kill Josh.

"No!" I tried to open the door but it must have been locked from the outside. "No let me out!" Tears were streaming down my face. He couldn't kill Josh. I needed him. I would die if he did. All these thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a loud BANG! For a second my heart stopped.

"I swear if you ever touch her again I will kill you," I almost cried. I had never been happier to hear his voice.

"I-I'm sorry okay?" The boy stuttered. "It was stupid of me. I'm sorry," The door opened and I leaped out into Josh's arms. I realized I was shaking badly and tried to stop, but I couldn't.

"It's okay," Josh whispered. "You're safe now."

"He... he was going to try to k-kill you," I didn't like crying at all, but right now I was sobbing. I could have lost him... forever. I didn't know where that person was going to try to take me, but I knew he wanted Josh dead... Why? Suddenly I saw something... someone move out of the corner of my eye. "Look out!" The warning barely left my mouth before the side of the gun rammed into Josh's head. He fell to the ground but I couldn't tell if he was just dazed or knocked out.

"You're really getting on my nerves," the boy spat as he stalked away from Josh's unmoving form and over to me. "You are too sweetheart," He added as he easily lifted me off the ground, and threw me over his shoulder. I realized that the car had a hole in the tire, and that was probably the bang I had heard before so was he seriously just going to walk off with me?

"Put me down!" I kicked and struggled, but I swear he did weight training or something because he was at least ten times stronger than me.

"If I was gonna do that then I wouldn't have picked you up at all," the boy pointed out. His phone suddenly started ringing from his pocket. He sighed but managed to get it even with me kicking and punching. "Hello?"

"Tanner," the voice was muffled, but I could still make out what the person was saying. "Do you have her?" What?! Why was everyone concerned about me?!

"Yes," the boy, Tanner, replied with a small nod. "Should I take out the boy?"

"No," The person almost shouted, but he quickly calmed back down. "It's my job to kill him. That decided a long time ago." Kill him... kill Josh... Heck no. I managed to turn just enough to elbow Tanner in the side of the head. He called me a very rude name, but besides that I didn't get a response. "What?" the person on the other end obviously thought Tanner was still talking to him.

"The girl just punched me in the head," The boy spoke quickly obviously afraid of whoever was on the other phone.

"She isn't that strong," The person chuckled. "You can handle her." We were a good five-six yards from where Josh was still knocked out, but I suddenly saw his eyes flutter open.

"Josh!" I didn't mean to shout his name, but it just kind of happened. Tanner spun around as Josh was just starting to get to his feet.

"Call ya back," he muttered into the phone before hanging up. "You just won't stay down will you?" he laughed talking to Josh, but I could hear the irritation in his voice.