chapter 15

Two months later… 

“Casey!” Jen called for the hundredth time, only this time something was different. I just couldn’t tell what. “Josh is here!” Instantly I got to my feet, running a hand through my limp, dirty blonde hair. I hadn’t expected to actually go to Florida, but it was nice, and now I was stuck here. I glared at the dress, with its red top that matched my necklace and trailing black skirt. The dress had the ugliest bungee sleeves ever, but Jen had managed to hide them with a white jacket. Why did I have to go to the school dance anyway? The more important question was how was I supposed to walk down stairs in the jet black high heels Jen had made me wear? “Casey!” She called again sounding very impatient. I groaned and walked to my door. 

“Jen I can barely walk on a flat surface in these shoes!” I shouted to her once I opened the door. “How do you expect me to walk down stairs?” I could hear her scream in frustration, but Josh cut her off before she could snap back a reply. 

“Jen I’ve got it don’t worry,” I heard him tell her, and then I could hear him running up the stairs. When I saw him I wanted to laugh. He was wearing a suit and tie, which obviously was forced by Jen but still. His usually cute messy hair was all pretty and smooth, and I really had the urge to reach out and mess it up. “What?” he must have seen the amused look on my face. 

“I see Jen got you to dress nice,” I giggled. He blushed a bit as he messed with the collar of the shirt like it was strangling him. 

“Yeah,” He nodded a worried expression on his face. “You don’t like it?” 

“I love it,” I assured him. “I’m just not used to it.” 

“Good,” He sighed in relief and then his gaze landed on my dress. “You look beautiful… ready to go to the dance.” 

“No,” I pouted. “but I guess Jen will drag me there herself if I don’t go.” 

“Yeah,” He laughed. “She probably would.” Right as he said that he picked me up like a bride. 

“Hey!” I protested. “What are you doing?” 

“Helping you get down the stairs,” He replied with his stunning half smile. 

“Idiot,” I muttered, but I couldn’t help but smile. 

“I know,” He replied, chuckling. “but you still love me.” 

“Yes,” I replied giving him a quick kiss on the cheek. 

“Ew…” Jen made a face. “You two are weird.” 

“We’re weird?” I questioned raising an eyebrow. “You’re going with Lyle.” 

“So?” She asked. “We aren’t weird.” 

“Sure,” I nodded unbelievingly. “It’s Lyle we are talking about… always weird.” 

“Hey, I heard that you know!” Lyle called from whatever room he was in. 

“Good!” I shouted back. He muttered something to quietly for me to hear, but my guess was it wasn’t nice. 

“Let’s go,” Josh smiled as he set me back on the ground. “We don’t want to be late.” 

“Yes we do,” I muttered, but even as I said that I walked with him to his truck. 

Soon we were going through the city, I smiled realizing this was the long way. The city was crowded with people. There were couples who were going to dinner before heading to the dance, men and women heading home from work late, people going shopping just to pass the time, and many more.