09: Michael Lesson

"January 22nd? Like, seriously? Do you live under a fucking rock or what?"

* * *

After meeting Grams in Choco Rainbow that day, I found myself driving along a familiar street, a street that lead to one of my best friends' house, Alex.

It was the 27th of June. It's been almost two days since I turned twenty-four and it's been almost two days since Michael Jackson died. It's also been about two days since my mission started. Now that I'd finally agreed to do this mission and after finding out I had to do this in my own way, I decided to do the last thing that Grams told me before I left Choco Rainbow earlier: start learning everything about Michael Jackson's life.

So here I was, headed to Alex house. I mean, where else should I go to? My friend's been a huge fan of the man before we even met and I knew she's the right person to talk to if I wanted to learn about Michael Jackson.

I parked Lucy on the other side of the street in front of their house. It was Saturday today. Good thing we didn't have a major client in the shop for today so dad allowed me to skip work. I walked towards their front door and rang the door bell. After a moment, the door opened and I was greeted by the calm and sweet face of Tamara, Alex's younger sister.

"Hey, Angel!" She smiled, holding the door.

"What's up, T," I greeted back, giving her a high-five. "Is Alex home?"

"She's in her room," she said, jerking her head to the direction of the stairs. She opened the door widely. "Come on in."

I waited in the living room while T went upstairs to call her sister. Today was Saturday and that explained why T was home. I didn't usually see her whenever I come here to visit because she had school. Alex's family owned a small pharmacy downtown and it was managed by her mom, Ms. Harrison, that's why she wasn't always in the house. As for Alex's dad, nah, I had no idea. As far as I knew, Alex's mom had been a single mother for a long time. I also remember Alex telling us that she'd never met her father even once.

"Angel?"

I turned my head when I heard the familiar voice and there I saw Alex, descending the stairs. She was frowning. It's like she wasn't happy about my presence.

"The hell's with the face?" I asked. "What? Want me out already?"

"I thought.." she stopped. "I thought you're.. you know, angry at me?"

My brows pulled together at what she said. Before I could even say a word, Alex took a deep breath, walked closer, and sat on a single-seated sofa in front of me. "Look, I'm sorry. I'm really, really sorry. I was actually just about to call you but--"

"Hey, wait a damn minute," I said, cutting her. "What the hell are you saying?"

"I know it was my fault that we ended up in a police station the night of your birthday," she finally said. "I know I ruined the celebration, and I'm really sorry. I swear, I didn't mean it. I was just drunk and--and Mike just died, and everything was just--"

I sighed and rolled my eyes. Seriously? "Cut it, dumbass."

"You're not angry at me?"

"Of course not," I said, removing my boots so I could put both of my feet on the center table. "That bitch deserved the punch in the face, anyway."