02: Nothing's Cancelled

"Call Michael Jackson a pedophile again and I swear I'm gonna fucking skin you alive, asshole!"

* * *

I couldn't believe how Michael Jackson's death had blown the entire world.

It turned out that the King of Pop had suffered cardiac arrest earlier this day and been in a coma the entire afternoon. We didn't know all of that because no one's been touching their phones and the TV hadn't been turned on since the morning. The moment we opened the TV, the news were already saying that he has died.

After knowing about this 'devastating' news, they suddenly forgot the 'no phone 'til the day ends' rule. I was sitting on the sofa, staring at my friends who had their heads bowed down to their phone, doing one thing: googling Michael Jackson.

"Oh my God, look what I found," Tina said and read something on her phone. "He got eight Grammys in one night in 1984!"

"And he's the most awarded artist of all time," Sam said, staring at her phone as well. "Damn, that's awesome. How come I didn't know that?"

Arki rolled his eyes. "Alex has literally been mentioning that to us for the last thirteen years, what is wrong with you, guys?"

"But I wasn't paying attention back then, duh," Tina snapped back.

I sighed and laid myself on the sofa. And now, everyone had suddenly become a Michael Jackson fan. Everyone was trying to read everything on the internet about him right now and they were amazed of their findings about his life but then there's me, yawning. I was lazy to even touch my phone and check my Twitter because I know that at this moment it was filled with Michael Jackson-related tweets. Even Facebook. The radio was playing nothing but Michael Jackson as well as our neighbors, who were banging up their house with Billie Jean in full volume.

Michael Jackson was everywhere. This was crazy.

"So when are we gonna start preparing for the party later?" I asked.

No one even bothered to look up at me.

I sighed. "Yuhoo, am I talking to anyone or not?"

"What party?" Arki asked, his face still on his phone.

My brows pulled together. "Don't you 'what party' me, Ark. Aren't we having a party in the club later for my birthday?"

"Oh, yeah, the party," Tina said. "Are we really gonna go for it? I mean, Michael Jackson just died, shouldn't we cancel it or something?"

I immediately rose myself from lying when I heard that. "Are you kidding me? Weren't you the ones who actually planned about this and now that Dad had saved me from doing my job in the shop and I'm free, you're telling me to cancel it?"

I couldn't believe that even this 'party in the club' that we're having for my birthday was about to be cancelled and they're giving me 'Michael Jackson just died' as a fucking reason.

What does Michael Jackson's untimely death have to do with my fucking birthday? Are they fucking kidding me?

"Why are y'all suddenly acting like you're a big Michael Jackson fan, huh? The guy who died didn't even know about your existence!"

A chuckle escaped Arki's lips. He looked at me. "Say the last sentence again, slowly, but in front of Alex."

I sighed and rolled my eyes. Of course I wont say that in front of Alex. She calls the guy 'the love of her life' and I don't want to get punched in the face.