Chapter One : Baby Blue.

Quick note : I headcanon Evan uses he/they pronouns so I will switch between the sets of pronouns :3

Evan's PoV - 7:30 am

He has been up early just to do this. Evan was obsessed with that idea and he wanted to realize it today. They went to their drawer and opened one of the sideboard and took out a little bottle filled up with a light blue liquid. He was calling that baby blue. Which was also his favorite color. And the little bottle was actually filled with nail polish that they bought a few days ago. For some stupid reason, Evan was absolutely obsessed with the idea of getting his nails paint in blue, even though he didn't really like nail polish in a matter of facts but now he wanted them in baby blue. As he had a few minutes before starting to get dressed, he took out the cap and started to shakely apply the liquid over his nails. Once done, and after struggling with his right hand since he was right-handed he looked at his hands, satisfied and happy of the result.

Now he had to assume the fact of having painted nails but it wasn't gonna be so complicated. If he felt judged he would just put his hands in his pockets.

After that he got dressed, his hair brushed, and said bye to his mom as going out of the house, waving towards Jared who was waiting in the car.

"- Wow, Evan, getting more girly every year. Do you want me to use she/her pronouns?" He said laughing at open throat seeing Evan's nails.

Now the appropriated answers would be "Stop being transphobic Jared" or "Shut the freak up, Kleinman" but Evan wasn't bold enough to say it out loud.

"- I use he/they Jared. And you know that."

"- Right, right, didn't mean to offend you."

He said that but Evan could hear in his tone that he didn't care. Without much conversation they both headed to school.

Connor's PoV - lunch time.

Connor Murphy was walking in the corridors fastly, going to the cafeteria. It was his first day of his senior year and the day was going slow as hell. He was tired, a bit high, and irritated by absolutely everything. He entered the cafeteria, ignoring all the eyes on him as he walked in. The whole room was filled with an uncomfortable smell of fried vegetables and sweat, such as teens accumulated in a room with food smells like.

The emo grabbed a plate and headed towards the place where you grab the food and pay. As he took a lasagna, he couldn't help but look at the hands of the person who was getting their food just next to him. They had cute tiny hands, first of all. Connor secretly had a kind of fetish for choking, which made him appreciate skinny hands where the bones and the knuckles were apparent. And he couldn't help looking at those blue painted nails.

With experience, Connor knew he was one of the only boy to paint his nails if not the only one. Then he looked up and saw Evan Hansen. The student he expected the less to paint their nails. Evan didn't even noticed that someone has been staring at his hands, busy to choose his meal. But then, as Connor took a desert and walked away he said :

"- Nice nail polish, Hansen."

Then went away to a quiet place. Of course he wasn't gonna eat in the cafeteria.

On his side, Evan was frozed there, looking in the empty space where Connor has been standing a few seconds ago. Then blushed when the realization hits them. Connor. Connor Murphy. The guy who was known as the school shooter, an emo, there was even rumors saying he smoked drugs! He just complimented him for his nails. Lots of questions came to Evan's mind : Was it mockery? Ironical? Does Connor likes blue? Baby blue? Weird to like pastels for a guy who's always dressed in black.

"- Jared! Did you hear what Connor said?!" Evan whispered screamed as he sat in front of his friend.

"- Oh yeah, the man was totally checking you out. In the lot of people in here there's one person that I didn't expect to be a fag and that's Connor Murphy."

"- Jared!! Don't say that word please. Anyways... He said he finded my nails paints nice? What do you think that means?!"

Jared looked at him annoyed while slurping his slush.

" - Oh com'on he has a crush on you treeboi, it's obvious you're so dense!"

Evan blushed hard. He never really envisaged that anyone would like like him in that way, and surely not Connor. Not that they hated the idea : Connor was quite handsome and attractive by Evan's opinion. But a crush was a whole damn thing.

"- Oh I know that look. It's the 'I'm too anxious to do something about it so I'm just gonna pretend everything's fine' kind of look."

"- You know what? I'm gonna go see him."

"- Ooh~ that's tea. Tell me what happened later."

Evan got up, just taking their bubble tea with them. Then for a solid 10 minutes he searched around the school before finding the emo boy at the school backyard, sitting in the grass. Evan knew that zone wasn't really allowed to be on but he still walked up to Connor who lifted his head with a cigarette that obviously wasn't nicotine. Evan got nervous but still sat next to the black haired boy.

"- Um, hey... Do you want...?"

He lifted up his drugs, as Evan fastly nodded negatively. They really felt nervous about drugs.

Connor looked at him and made the choice of putting aside his stuff, not wanting to scare off the anxious boy that made an effort to come towards him.

"- No offense but, what are you doing here?"

"- Hm... You s-said you like my n-nail paints and I didn't even get t-to say th-thanks.."

Cute... Connor thought as Evan looked away and blushed.

"- Yeah you... You're welcomed."

Evan got all their courage and took out of their pocket a little piece of paper folded in two that they gave to Connor.

The other boy took it hesitantly, confused.

"- Th-that's my Instagram, a-add me okay?..."

Before Connor could add anything, Evan ran away. Connor blushed and put the paper in his pocket. That was cute, he thought.

Evan had totally panicked! They gave off their stupid Instagram with a stupid name before even thinking. What will Connor think of him? That he's hitting on him? Is he hitting on him though?

One thing was sure, He'll rush to the store and buy another color for their nails. They started to like these said "feminine" things way more than he assumed to.