4: Christmas Shopping

Jennie

She gazed at the chalkboard from over her pancakes. They had started this in college—a board with chores roughly scrawled across it, below which sat a pile of rocks with their name on that they would set under the chore they chose to undertake.

"Jennie, you're on Christmas shopping today." Seulgi pointed at the rock adorned with her name that she hadn't laid eyes on in the past five years.

"Why do I still have a rock?" She pushed more of the pancakes into her mouth. Of course the second day back Seulgi had her on chore duty, she was such a stickler for them you would have thought they were survival tasks or some shit.

"Because it's the only piece of you we had when you fucked off to the middle of nowhere, Jennie." Jisoo looked at her, though she was joking she could read the hurt in her eyes.

"Why do I have to do Christmas shopping? Please tell me I'm at least going with you. You know I hate that shit."

"You're going with Lisa."

The blonde choked on her pancake slightly, eyes seemingly pleading with Seulgi. Seulgi never gave in though, it was a futile attempt.

"Why the heck do you hate Christmas? Of course, you're a Grinch." Lisa rolled her eyes at her.

"Look, not all of us had nicey-nice Christian present time with Daddy." She shot back.

Lisa dropped her fork. "I'll be ready in twenty, you better get your ass the heck up!"

"Could you at least try to get on with her for five minutes?" Seulgi spoke after she left the room. "She's a sweet girl."

"Sweet girl." Jennie scoffed. Sure. Sweet. Sweet like arsenic fucking tea.

***

Lisa drummed her hands on the steering wheel of the car, that shockingly was a bright lemon yellow Land Rover, because, of course it fucking was. The harsh voice of early era Taylor Swift blared through the car and she winced internally.

"Please can you turn that off?"

"No grumpy, just because you hate good music doesn't mean I'm gonna turn it the heck off."

"Look, Piper Chapman, please turn your shitty music down at least. My ears are bleeding."

"You're single, aren't you?"

"What?"

"Just an observation. Couldn't guess why."

"Oh fuck off."

The rest of the car journey she succumbed to the hell-baring pain that was at least three albums of country shit, she was pretty sure at one point someone was playing aggressive banjo. Arms folded she pretended not to note how Lisa tapped on the steering wheel, how her voice was actually perfect as she sung her heart out as if Jennie wasn't sat next to her. Her hair blew as her elbow rested on the window and Jennie felt a warmth of comfort she would never admit to.

***

"Can you stop swinging on the trolley like a four-year-old?" Lisa actually had the audacity to bat her arms from the handle like a pissed off mother.

"Just grab the shit and let's go."

Lisa piled what felt like half of the store into the trolley, vegetables, meat, literally everything. Jennie was beginning to wonder if there was a shelter they had signed up to feed because apparently, they were feeding hundreds of people.