Chapter Four

"So, Lys. A few more weeks and you'll be a teenager!" Annie said proudly. "Are you excited for that?"

"I don't know." Lys responded glumly. "On the one hand, I get to do all the exciting things Whitney always talks about. On the other..."

"You're scared of growing up." Whitney finished. Annie, Cathryn, and Cathryn's sister Cami turned around and looked at the seventeen year old girl with short, platinum blonde hair. "... Sorry, I was just standing back there and I couldn't help overhearing." 

"How do you do it, Whitney? You make being a teenager look easy!" Lys said to her sister.

"Easy for you to say! You don't have to move out of the house in three months!"

"Can you NOT remind me that you're leaving us soon?"

"Hey, listen to me Lys. I'm not gonna sugar coat it for you, growing up is not gonna be easy, I know that for a fact. It's gonna be a confusing, scary ride. But what's important is who comes on the ride with you."

The adults just looked stunned. They all made their way over to where Whitney had been standing to leave the two sisters alone.

"Thank you, Whit." Lys said, with a smile breaking onto her face. "I needed that."

"ALYSSA!!" A scream could be heard from inside Derrick and Annie's house. Everyone quickly assumed it was Connie. She stormed outside, holding something in her hand. She marched all the way over to where Whitney and Lys were sitting. "Do you wanna explain THIS to me?!" She held up the watch that she always wore. There was a crack spanning all across the glass.

"I-I'll just..." Whitney said as she slowly backed away.

"I-I was gonna tell you..." Lys stuttered. "But-"

"No buts! No excuses!" Connie's voice began to rise. "You know I love this watch!"

"I-if you just let me ex-"

"I don't wanna hear it!" 

Alyssa walked toward the table with the punch, poured herself a glass, walked back over to Connie, and dumped the Styrofoam cup all over her cousin.

Connie's face turned bright red. "You... you..." she was about to say it, but remembered the young children playing outside.

Fred and Derrick caught a glimpse of what was going on and were about to step in, but then Whitney stepped between the two of them and took Lys away. 

"I-I don't ever want to see her again!" Connie yelled.

~~~~~~

Lys just looked at Connie. "Uh... how's it hanging?"

Connie just stared at her until she finally said: "Okay, we're not doing this. Follow me."

Connie went up the stairs to her room, with Lys following right behind her. The second floor was a massive open space with two bedrooms and a bathroom. Once the two made it to Connie's room, Connie walked over to the door and shut it. Her room had a bunk bed, but the mattress on the top bunk was gone. She had used the whole frame for various trophies from sports and had other decorations up there. The bottom frame was taken out entirely and replaced with a queen size bed. 

"I-I got a lot I wanna say to you." Alyssa said to her.

"I was about to say the same thing." Connie said while folding her arms.

"We say it on three?"

"I'm fine with that."

"One..." they said together. "Two... Three..." the girls took a deep breath in. "I'm sorry."