Chapter 6

Mr. Darcy and Mr. Bingley did not speak as they rode back to Netherfield. There were both too consumed with their thoughts over the news they had received from the Collins.

"I do not know about you, Fitzwilliam, but I am too distraught to be in polite company. Fancy a game of billiards?"

Mr. Darcy handed his beaver hat and coat to a servant then followed Mr. Bingley to the gaming room. "I agree completely."

He was not one for using an excess of words, but in this case, Mr. Darcy was even less inclined. His thoughts were consumed with the new problem that had reared its massive head. This was not an easy issue to solve such as a distance. To think that he had worked himself up over her lack of connections and poor family behavior before he had proposed to her at the Hunsford parsonage. That horrible proposal still mortified him.

Mr. Darcy groaned. If only he could have those problems now. He had no idea what he was going to do about the woman he loved being employed. He shuddered to think of what his aunt, Lady Catherine de Bourgh, would have to say on the matter if she ever found out.

Mr. Bingley was in the same mood as he racked the balls and started the game with more strength than was necessary. The balls scattered and bounced off the edges of the table, knocking into each other all at once making a horrific noise.

"Oh! That is quite loud. I apologize!" Mr. Bingley sheepishly turned towards Mr. Darcy.

Mr. Darcy poured himself and Mr. Bingley two fingers of brandy. "Here, this should calm you down."

Mr. Bingley squinted at Mr. Darcy. "Why are you not upset at the circumstances that Miss Bennet and Miss Elizabeth are now in? By now, they are probably employed with some family who knows where. How will we ever find them? How can I marry her now without society shunning us? I do not want Miss Bennet to be shunned. She is a beautiful angel."

Mr. Bingley took a healthy drink of his brandy and sputtered.

Mr. Darcy's lip twitched. "Careful there, Charles."

"By God, I do not know how men can stand that."

Mr. Darcy sipped his brandy, and silence fell as both worried over the women they cared deeply for.

"Do you have any ideas, Fitzwilliam? If Miss Bennet is not at her relative's house in town, I shall not know what to do! How does one go about finding a governess? It seems impossible!"

Mr. Darcy looked at Mr. Bingley's forlorn countenance. He wished finding the women was their worst obstacle to overcome. When they did find the Bennet sisters, would it be cruel to marry them and watch them suffer as society shunned them for having been employed? Mr. Darcy groaned and rubbed his forehead.

"I cannot live without her, Fitzwilliam. I have never met anyone like her, and I have never forgotten her. I fervently wish they have not accepted employment anywhere."

Mr. Darcy dropped his hand from his forehead and nodded. "How long ago did they leave Meryton? It was not that long ago, correct? We may be lucky that they are not employed. We will need to move quickly to find them."