Chapter 7: Instinct

D.O:

We unloaded the truck, taking things two at a time. I grunted, catching my breath after a while. What does the kid have in here? I wondered. Sehun strolled out, chatting pleasantly with my father. He laughed heartily and spoke intelligently, completely different from when he was with me. I narrowed my eyes in annoyance and coughed. "Hello father."

"Son!" My father dutifully ripped his attention away from his conversation with Sehun, "how's our Saeyoon?" He asked with a glint in his eye.

I could feel the tips of my ears turn red as I mumbled, "fine." Remembering my questions I had for him, I cleared my throat once again, "I wanted to ask you father!..Why didn't you tell me about our lovely guest Oh Sehun?"

"Ah Mr. Oh here?" He said, giving Sehun a good clap on the back. "Well I'm surprised you don't know, he's the son of the chairman of Oh Enterprise. Since the chairman has specifically asked him to work here, I was very enlightened. Why do you ask, is there a problem?" He said, furrowing his brows.

I trying to refrain myself from seething, I answered. "I would have liked to know that.. Beforehand."

"Beforehand?" My father furrowed his brows in confusion, "did I not tell you that just last week?"

"I-" suddenly, I remembered. Last week.. He had told me at dinner. But I had been humming with excitement from the news of Saeyoon coming.. Mentally kicking myself out of embarrassment, I cleared the scowl on my face. "yes...yes you're right father, you did" I said slightly sheepish. I could hear Sehun stifle a smirk, and I turned to face him.

"It will be nice having you here." I answered in my most diligent voice.

Suddenly, a cold sense of unease settled over me. Saeyoon.. No, why am I thinking about her so much? I quickly excused myself, trying to brush the feeling off as much as I could, as I strode into the kitchen.

The aromatic scents always calmed me down. My mother stood at the chopping board in her usual bamboo print apron and bamboo hair pin fastened around her hair.

"I'm back." I declared.

"Ah! Kyungsoo, " she turned around in surprise, her warm, brown eyes crinkled. "How is Saeyoon?"

"She's fine," I said, trying not to blush.. Again.

My mother flashed a sneaky smile that completely mimicked my father's, earlier. "Kyungsoo-ah.. You're so shy." She said, flicking me on the back of my head. "oh, tell your father and our guest that I'll be finished in a minute."

"Uh huh." I said, making no indication of moving from my spot.

We were silent for a few, seemingly long moments when I decided to pipe up again.

"...mother, I promised Saeyoon I would bring something for her." It killed me to lie like that, but my sense of unease only grew every second I stood idling.

"Is that so?" She questioned, surprised. "Surely you can still stay for dinner then head over. Oh! Should I bring something for you to give her or do you think she'll have eaten
already?"

"No. It's really fine.. It's not a big deal, but I can't put it off.. I'm sorry mother, please give your regards to father and.. Our guest." I pleaded.

"Well.. " She thought for a second before answering, "okay I'll help you out this once."

Thanks." I tipped my head in her direction before sprinting out the door. WHAM. Almost knocking the air out of my lungs, I wasn't very very surprised to find Oh Sehun leaned against the door, rubbing his forearm with a scowl set on his face.