Chapter 5: Bruises

*Smut Warning*

"A ball?" I exclaim, looking back at Athenadora.

"A ball, soiree—gathering...whatever fits the tag. But yes, Caius was telling me about it last night. He said that a seamstress will be here later to get our measurements and ask about preferences." Athenadora grabs a handful of her dress as she sways with excitement.

"Wow...I've never been to a ball before. I-I don't even know how to dance—I'll just embarrass myself..." I can feel my stomach knotting up at the thought of dancing in front of others and just fucking up.

"Annie, you'll do great! You know Marcus will be more than happy to teach you. He's an excellent dancer!" Athenadora nudged me with her elbow.

"I guess. I just don't want to embarrass him." I wilt at the thought. I don't want to disappoint my mate. He is perfect in every single way...but me? I'm incredibly average...and sometimes I compare us far too often.

"You won't. Marcus is kind, and he is loving. He wouldn't ever feel embarrassed by you. Have some faith in yourself, Annie." Athenadora hugs me, and I feel at ease with her words.

"Thanks, Thena. You really know how to comfort me. I wonder if this is what it feels like to have a mom." I say without really thinking.

Athenadora tightens around me. "I can be whatever you want me to be. I care about you Annie. I've lived so long, knowing that Caius and I could never be parents to our own.... but with you around, it fills that void." She pulls away as she shares a soft smile.

"I care about you too, Thena. But it would be weird to call you my mother when Caius is technically my brother." I laugh awkwardly, but Athenadora shakes her head with a giggle.

"Our family is tangled in all strange ways...but labels don't matter, as long as we know the importance that we have to each other." She brushes away a few wisps of my hair.

I nod in agreement to her words. I go to turn around when I catch sight of Aro and my gardenias. "Oh! Look Thena, our flowers are looking even bigger today." I squat down to the white flowers with a wide smile.

"Our? You mean yours and Marcus'?"

I shake my head. "No, Mine and Aro's. He was keeping me company and suggested that we plant these. They've grown so quickly."

"He suggested gardenias?" Athenadora says in a tone that I found unfamiliar.

"Why? Not your favourite?" I look back at her with curiosity.

She shakes her head, but her expression remains uncertain. "It's not that...I was just thinking of the meaning behind those flowers. Since my brother is the most knowledgeable about such things, I thought it peculiar for him to want to plant these."

I frown. "You mean flower language?" I look back to the flowers, eyeing their snow-like petals. "I...I don't know the meaning behind these flowers...is it bad?" I glance back at Athenadora.

"No, never mind. Don't mind me. I'm just digging into nothing." She smiles. Picking me up off the floor, Athenadora links her arms through mine and begins to walk me back towards the castle. "Now tell me, how bad of a dancer are you really?"

After our walk, Athenadora went back to the tower to prepare for the seamstress's arrival, and I head back to mine and Marcus's room. Those gardenias...I wonder why Athenadora seemed so worried. Perhaps I should ask the man in question. I look at the time on my phone. "Damn, they are still in court." I say to myself. So, instead of waiting around, I head back to the room to wait for the seamstress as well.