Chapter 4

A pained yowl shook the clearing. Silverfang opened one eye. Once the howl came again, Silverfang pricked her ears and drowsily jumped out of her den. It was midnight, and he moon was shining weakly. Then, the yowl came again. She sped toward the nursery. She knew it had to be Deerleap, for the she-wolf had moved there two moons before. Silverfang ducked inside the den. Deerleap looked up at her painfully. She shook and yowled again. Silverfang felt the queen's belly, and drew her paw back as something kicked. She raced to the medicine wolf's den and shook Fernleaf awake.

"Deerleap's pups are coming," she hissed.

Fernleaf jumped to her paws and grabbed mouthfuls of leaves. "Silverfang, get a hard stick that wont splinter easily," she puffed.

Fernleaf got to work inside the nursery. Meanwhile, Silverfang ran out into the forest, looking around for a good stick. She found one soon, lodged beneath a log. Silverfang rolled the log out of the way, picked up the stick in her jaws, and raced back. "Here comes one," the medicine wolf grunted as she came in. Silverfang shoved the stick under Deerleap's nose as the queen shook. "And another, and another!" Fernleaf panted.

Silverfang jumped out, satisfied.

"Whitestorm, come and meet your pups!" she barked joyfully, for the white wolf was sitting and waiting there.

Then she went to her den to sleep for a bit more, for there was some more time before morning. She was roused my the birdcalls next morning, and everyone was congratulating Whitestorm on his first litter. Silverfang gave him a respectful nod and went up onto the Starstone.

There she said: "We have lost a good warrior. May Mistyfur hunt well in Starpack. Now I must name a new deputy. The Pack's new deputy will be Lion!"

Lion jumped, surprise clear on his face. Evidentially, he had not expected to be chosen.

Then he said, "Alpha, I am forever grateful. I will do my best to serve this Pack."

The wolves cheered. "Lion, Lion, Lion, Lion," they chanted.

What do you think? Should I make some new warriors soon? And Bluetail is going to make a appearance soon! She's one of my favorite characters!