Chapter 8

*Note* Sorry I'm doing so many different P.O.Vs, Silverfang is still the main character, but I'm just changing stuff up a little :)

Cloudpelt's P.O.V

Cloudpelt ran after the patrol, already drenched in the afternoon rain. Falling into step with Hawkfeather, he dipped his head. A stiff breeze blew the fur of the wolves the wrong way.

"We are just looking for any traces of wolves on our territory. No hunting, understand?' demanded Jackrabbit.

The patrol nodded. Fernpaw, being the only apprentice now, was eager to patrol. Cloudpelt gave her a nudge and continued on. As they came to the edge of the territory, Cloudpelt could see shapes in the distance, holding his tail straight up in alarm, he pointed the shapes out to Jackrabbit. His eyes narrowed.

"Fernpaw, go back to camp for reinforcements, and tell them to hurry. Cloudpelt, Ashstorm, Lightthunder and I will stay here."

Fernpaw took off, belly fur brushing the grass. Meanwhile the patrol formed a line, and faced the other wolves head on. They were a strong, well fed, big Pack. Most of them were black wolves, slipping along the shadows. A thrumming of paws along the grass jerked Cloudpelt out of his observations. Fernpaw was back, and streaking right behind her was Silverfang, Lion, Leafdapple, Sandwhisker, , NIghtfeather. Another patrol, made up of Mousetail, Darkfur, Lilyheart and Stagear, was racing towards them from the other side. The forces gathered to hear Silverfang's careful instructions, then split into two groups. Cloudpelt, Darkfur, Lilyheart, Nightfeather, Stagear and Ashstorm were the middle group that was going to try and see what the other pack was up to. The others would circle around and creep up behind the shadowy pak. Silverfnag's and and the third patrols took off. Cloudpelt and his patrolmates faced the border, tension crackling in the air. The shadowy pack came up, and Cloudpelt could see that they may even be outnumbered in a fight! He gulped and stepped forward. A gray wolf also stepped forward, and Cloudpelt assumed he must be the leader.

"Hello, strangers," he said in a deep, big voice. "I am Birchstem, leader of Shadowstorms Pack. We are looking for a territory of our own, and if there are no nearby territories that are as good as yours, we will fight for it," he finished with a flick of his big gray tail.

Cloudpelt stood up, muzzle wrinkled. He felt the support of his Packmates, pressing shoulder to shoulder.

"You will not take this territory. There is a good patch of land beyond this." he suggested, not backing down. "Now I suggest you look behind you!" he warned the gray Alpha.

Birchstem spun around and shock was etched clearly on his face. The rest of SilverPack's warriors were sitting a tail length away, Silverfang at the lead. Silverfang licked at her claw. "I don't think you want to fight us for our land," she said.

Something flashed in Birchstem's dark eyes, but Cloudpelt couldn't quite place it. A dark pelted wolf with a kind expression on his face came up to his leader, breaking the awkward moment. Birchstem, let us see if there is a territory near here. Maybe our packs could work together?" he asked, dipping his head.

"Not a bad idea, Darktail. I will look around," Birchstem replied. Then he and his Pack sauntered off.

Darkfur crept up to Silverfang. "Can I go make sure they don't go into our territory?" she asked.

Puzzled, Silverfang nodded, and the dark warrior earnestly trotted away through the undergrowth.

Cloudpelt gathered his patrol and started to lope back to camp, glancing at Silverfang. Silverfang, with one last look after Darkfur, followed him. 

Ooooooh! Someone has a cruuuuush! Any ships? xD Although it would be a little hard since they have the same first part of their names, probably Darkfur thinks it was meant to be. We'll find out a little more in the next chapter!