Chapter 11

Moons passed. Battles were fought, and warriors were made. Finally, Silverfang was ready to give birth.

Silverfang bit down on the stick. She howled in pain.

Fernleaf's ears pricked up. "Not long to go, Alpha!! Here comes the first one! When I put my paws on your belly, push!" she had barely finished saying that when a wave of fresh pain swept over.

Silverfang felt the medicine wolf's paws on her, and pushed. Immediately the pain lessened. She opened her eyes. A puppy was lying next to her. Goldenstripe stretched out her nose and gently prodded the pup over to Silverfang's stomach. It began to suckle. Before Silverfang could comprehend anything, she was forced onto her side again. She gripped the stick in her jaws and bit down. It helped with the pain. Another puppy was soon suckling. The process was repeated a couple of times. Silverfang was exhausted, and finally submerged into the dark wave. When she woke, Silverfang forced herself to lift her head. Not four, not five, but six pups were laying at Silverfang's belly curve. They were astoundingly precious, and she curled around them and immediately fell asleep again.

When Silverfang woke, she saw Rabbitclaw's bushy white tail whipping out of the den.

He must have been visiting!

She opened her mouth to call out, but Fernleaf bustled over.

"Ah, good, you're awake! Rabbitclaw was just visiting! How do you feel?" She gazed inquiringly at her Alpha.

"I-I'm okay," said Silverfang groggily.

Then a head peeked around the entrance.

"Hello, Rabbitclaw!" murmured Silverfang.

Rabbitclaw dropped into a crouch and gazed at the puppies.

"They are beautiful!" he slurred. It seemed as though he did not sleep, waiting for the pups to be born.

Silverfang woofed a word of agreement. "What will we name them?" she asked.

"You will name three and I will name three," said Rabbitclaw. He pointed to three pups. "This female should be Ashpup. This male should be Dustpup. This male should be Brackenpup. Your turn, my love," he added, gazing at the pups with admiration.

Silverfang studied her pups. "This male should be Cloudpup. This female will be Snowpup. This female will be Sunpup. Agreed?" she asked.

Rabbitclaw nodded and they curled up together.

Chapter 19

Five moons later

Silverfang was laying in her nest, talking drowsily to Bluetail. The nursery had become a nice substitute for her own den, and she relaxed, shifting in the moss and ferns. Bluetail was lastly flicking her tail.

"Do you remember when we took Tigertooth on his first day as an apprentice? He fell in the stream and Stagear had to fish him out!" Bluetail snorted with laughter.

Silverfang howled with laughter. "He had to run around to get dry! And Fernpounce wasn't much better, crossing the scent markers on her first day!"

Bluetail laughed again. "Lilyheart gave her tick duty for a month," she snorted.

The two queens got quiet, thinking about their past memories. Then the entrance bracken bristled, and all ten pups bustled through. Bluetail's pups clamored over her and she began licking them. Silverfang's pups rushed over to their mother. Silverfang woofed softly as she listened to their stories, crouching next to them.

Sunpup wiggled into a crouch. "Watch me pounce, Mama!" she boasted.

Ashpup knocked her sister over. "I'm better than you!"

Cloudpup sat grooming his fur. "Sandwhisker says that I need to groom every day to keep my fur clean!"

Then pups quieted down, laying in the nest. With a jolt, Silverfang realized that all of them were ready to be apprentices. She rose and shook out her pelt.

"My dears, I need to talk to Beta, I will be right back." She murmured to her pups.

They wrigggled into a heap, and were soon sleeping. Silverfang purposely stepped out and headed towards the clearing. She jumped off the rock and saw Waterdapple emerging from her den. Silverfang bounded across the place and stopped her Beta.

"All the pups are old enough! We were supposed to make them apprentices!" she said eagerly.

Waterdapple dipped her head. We need to talk about mentors . . ." she said.

Soon Silverfang was heading dutifully back to the nursery. She squeezed inside and quieted her pups. She gave Bluetail a significant look, and the she-wolf's eyes widened. Silverfang crouched next to the pups and cleared her throat. Ten pairs of eyes gazed at her.

"Pups, today you will be made apprentices! You are old enough now!' she said, gazing at them.

The pups squealed with excitement.

Sunpup battered Brackenpup on the head. "I will catch a squirrel on my first day!" she boasted.

Snowpup pounced on Ashpup. "I will catch three of them!" she squeaked happily.

Silverfang separated her pups.

"Is that how apprentices behave?" she asked her pups sternly.

All of them sat up straight.

"No, Mama!" squeaked Snowpup.

"Of course not!" barked Cloudpup.

"We aren't pups anymore!" cried Sunpup gleefully.

Bluetail's pups also bundled over.

"Make us apprentices too!" they clamored.

Silverfang felt a little overwhelmed, but she and Bluetail groomed the pups as best as they could and padded to the Highledge. She jumped up, and looked around. All the soon-to-be mentors were there, and Silverfang called a nice, loud meeting.

"Every wolf gather for a pack meeting!" she howled, throwing back her head.

The ferns rustled, and the warriors of SilverPack stepped out and gathered around in a ragged semi circle. Wolves emerged from their dens, stretching.

"Today, wolves, is the day that all ten pups will become apprentices. Brackenpup, step forward. You will now be known as Brackenpaw. Your mentor will be . . . yes, Dawnstripe. You will be good together. Ravenpup will now be Ravenpaw, with Sandwhisker as his mentor. Hawkfeather, you will mentor Sunpaw. Leafshadow, you will mentor Snowpup. Beta, you will mentor Ashpaw. Dustpup will now be Dustpaw, and your mentor will be Lighthunder. Tigertooth will take Cloudpaw. Featherpaw, your mentor will be Lilyheart. Whitestorm, you can have Amberpaw. Willowpaw, your mentor will be Goldenstripe, and I hope Willowpaw learns much as a medicine wolf. The meeting is concluded! Mentors, take your apprentices for a tour of the forest."

Twenty wolves bounded out through the gorse barrier.

Hey guys! I've decided that this is the last chapter that will have Silverfang's P.O.V in it. It makes me incredibly sad because I intended to create Silverfang as myself, but I need to move on with the story line. The main character is going to be....... Ashpaw! Whether she is the 'monster', defeater of the monster, or a bystander, you shall find out. Don't forget to vote! <3