6

The next day

I arrived at Dave's mom house to pick up DJ. The door opened and DJ came running toward me.

"Finally you here"

"I told you I would be" I said laughing at how hype he was

"He has been up since 7 am waiting" Sharon, Dave's mom said

We went inside and Sharon and I were talking when the front door opened and in walked Dave.

"Daddy" DJ said running over to him

"What up big man I'm surprised you noticed me since your favorite person here"
"Oh daddy you one of my favorites just don't tell my Kori"

We laughed

"I can hear you" his eyes got wide "I thought I whisper"

"What brings you by" Sharon asked him

"Had to come see little man since he never wants to spend time with me. He turned down ice cream because he wants to go out with Kori"

"Ice cream next day" DJ said

"Yea aiight I guess but you be hurting my feelings lil man"

"I sorry daddy"

"We cool but go get your bag so you get going" DJ ran upstairs

"You ok Kori you keep looking at your phone" Sharon asked

"Yea just been texting and calling a friend since last night but they not answering"

"Awww maybe they will call back eventually"

We heard footsteps coming down the stairs "I'm ready mommy I mean Kori"

The room got silent and I had a look of shock along with Sharon but Dave showed no emotion over it.

"Um come give grandma a kiss and I'll see you soon"

"Bye grandma love you" he said to her and grabbed my hand dragging me

"We should be done around 4 so I can bring him to your house"

"Call me when you on the way I may not be home"

I nodded and we left

Dave

The door closed and felt my mother staring.

"What is it ma"

"I know you heard that boy call her mommy"

I shrugged "Yea I heard but not surprised"

"You right I shouldn't be either. He don't talk about his real mother as much as he talk about Kori"

"Yea because his mother wants to keep acting like she has no responsibility but think she still be in my pockets. She don't do shit for DJ but try and use him to get to me"

"You still love Kori" she asked me

I sighed "I will always love her"

"Then why you do her like you did" by now my mom rose from the couch and walked towards me

"I don't know ma ok I was being selfish and I guess nervous because I had never loved someone like I do with her"

"You hurt that girl so bad. Her mother called me crying because of the depression Kori went into. She told me that losing you was not that bad but loosing that baby broke her"

"I know and it's my fault she lost it because I wasn't man enough and give that respect of communicating"

"Yea and you know your uncle told me you and your little receptionist was pretty close while you were out there"

"Yea but she ain't mean nothing and she is my former receptionist"

"It don't matter because while you were out there on business and messing around Kori was trying to rebuild herself because after the miscarriage she had counseling for a while before she met someone"

"You knew about Kareem" I asked

"That's not the point David, she loves you so hard and even with someone else in the picture she never could focus on anyone else"

I sighed thinking about all my momma had said. I know I had fucked up and we talked about but didn't know the extent of it all.

"I hear you ma and I'm going to make it right"

"You better because she is my daughter in law regardless. She is the sweetest young lady'

Kori had called and I told her to bring DJ to the shop I was finishing up an arm piece. When she got there she had a sleeping DJ in her arms.

"Awww you wore him out" Qui one of tattoo artist said and came to grab him to lay him on the couch

"Thanks girl he heavy as hell"

"Hey Qui can you take his payment and you good to leave" Qui nodded and gave me a hug before heading to the front

"I'm going to head out also" I could tell she felt awkward

"Hold for a second while I clean my station and lock up"

Kori

Dave strapped DJ in his car seat and closed the door facing me. All of sudden I got nervous and looked down.

"No need to be nervous" I heard him say

"'I'm not nervous"

"When you look down quick you are nervous" damn he knew me

"What is it Dave"

He sighed "Look I can't take back what happened a year ago but I want you to know I am truly sorry on how things happened. Never in a million years would I want you to think I'd hurt you intentionally I can admit I was being selfish because I got cold feet when I started to love you"

"You sure hell didn't try checking me so if that ain't intentional then I don't know what is"

"I know and there is nothing I can do to show how sorry I am but I wanted to show you this" he pulled up his sleeve and showed me a tattoo in honor of our child "Baby Brewster Daddy's forever Angel"

When I saw it my hand flew to my mouth "It's beautiful" I ran my hand across his arm admiring the detail

"Even though I wasn't here or knew about it I felt like shit knowing I put you though all that pain"

"It wasn't easy because once I started to get use to the idea of being a single parent I was on the couch one night and started cramping and bleeding. Shit changed in the blink of an eye" by now I was in tears and Dave grabbed me pulling me into his chest holding me as I cried for our baby. I pushed away from him and walked away getting into my car driving away.