Chapter 9

Chapter 9: In The Rain

I reluctantly got up from my spot and met Liam in the cafeteria. I immediatelty noticed Dante. He had his normal amount of girls around him. He made my heart ache and he didn't even know it. I turned my attention to Liam. "How's your second day?" I asked.

He shrugged. "It would be better if I had you in all of my classes."

I couldn't resist a smile. We sat down next to each other at one of the empty lunch tables. He kissed my cheek. I was playing with the ring on my index finger. I leaned into Liam for support and he held me. Someone suddenly appeared across from us. I looked up. It was Dante with Megan. He was holding her hand across the table. 'He only did this to get back at you', a voice in my head said.

"Well, it's working," I replied.

"What did you just say, Blakey?" Liam asked, playing with my hair. 

I shrugged off his touch. "Nothing. Listen, I'm sorry. I have to talk to Mr. Hensworth about my assignment." I excused myself, then darted outside. I climbed up a tree and sat there until I saw everyone retiring to the live-in dorm. I waited for Dad's car to appear at the gates.

LIAM: HEY, YOU OKAY? IM WORRIED, AND SO IS DANTE.

I read the message until I had it memorized. Liam was just being sweet. I knew that Dante didn't care. But that didn't mean I didn't want him to.

I saw Dad's car and I ran to him. I wrapped my arms around him and sobbed on his chest. He patted my back as I cried. Ariel was coming. I let go of Dad and wiped the tears away. I climbed in the backseat.

Ariel looked at me cautiously. Dad threw him a look that explained everything. It suddenly started to rain and my vision got blurry. When dad parked, I went straight up to my room. I changed into a pair of shorts and a black V-neck. I pulled my knees against my chest and rocked back and forth lightly. My phone buzzed.

UNKNOWN: MEET ME OUTSIDE. THE TREE RIGHT BEHIND YOUR HOUSE. DANTE.

I jumped off my bed and rushed downstairs, avoiding the glances on my way outside. I slowed down as the tree came in view. I saw a boy in blue jeans and the same color jacket. I looked closer and saw that it was Dante, as the text message said.

He had his eyes closed. I moved closer, but he seemed oblivious. I snuck my hands in his jacket pockets where his were too. I interwtined them. I leaned in and kissed him, just like I had wanted to earlier. My lips folded with his. I was short on breath, but nothing could pull me away from this moment. Dante pulled back, but only to pull me closer to him. He grabbed me by the waist and held me up against the tree, out of the pouring rain. His lips parted from mine and I wrapped my arms around his shoulders. He hugged me back. I loved him so much.

This was what I imagined Mom and Dad in. A painting. This was a picture perfect moment. But it was mine. My fairy tale image.