Chapter 5: First Blood

I crouched down in the tall stalks of weeds and grass, the wind blowing softly to make noise above the silence. The little cross angled above the shotgun in my hand hovered milimeters in front of my eyelid.

"And... the eye..." The voice beside me murmered next to my ear. He was such a close proximity to me that if I leaned over an inch, we would be in contact. "Never... body..."

The deer calmly gained noureshment from grass in the distance. There was a rustle in the trees, and it's head perked up. I watched it move it's head, and I had to move the gun by just a bit to gain perfect aim again. 

He moved his lips again. "Eye."

I inhaled, exhaled, and pulled the trigger. The shot filled most of the air, but also a near silent thump of the deer falling. Vaas chuckled and cheered beside me for my success.

"Not bad, hermana."

I smirked and stood up. I raised my chin to get a better view of my kill, turning it at an angle to face him as well as get a good eye. "You think the jaw or eye?"

He pondered on it for a few seconds, and hit me on the back. I stumbled forward. "Doesn't matter. You killed something. Should be good enough."

I laughed. We both advanced to the deceased deer, pushing branches and long, thick stocks of weeds until we arrived at the body. The eye was mishapen and slanted at an unnatural angle, telling us that I had hit accuratley.

 We were both silent in the comfortable air. I finally felt like I was enjoying my vacation again. Well, if you consider being stuck on an island full of basic murderers joyful.

"Well," I said shortly, dreading the next part of the process. "You did it last time, but I really-"

"Nope," Vaas  shook his head while he crossed his arms. His mohawked head  turned to me. "You still have to."

I groaned and stretched my arms out horizontally, pulling back in, out, and then in. I kept repeating in my head that I had this.

I scooped the belly of the deer , pulled, and stumbled backwards. My hindquarters hit the ground with a mighty thump, and a branch whaked my nose. I hissed and gritted my teeth while I held it tenderly.

I heard Vaas chuckle while blood rushed through my ears. I swiped my eyes to him and glared with all I had.

"Your stance is all wrong." Vaas said between his laughter. "You have no core or upper arm muscle. Just drag it."

"Won't that tear-" I began, he he inturrupted me.

"We're peeling the skin off, anyways."

"Oh, god." I shuddered, pulling myself back up. A tree's thick trunk supported my weight until I lurched forward to have another go.

I wrapped my hands around the deer's antlers and tugged. I heard a stuffy crunch of leaves while the body followed after by an inch.

It was going to be a long day.

"I am so done." I groaned. I felt like my stomach was about to jump out of my throat from the stench and the bloody contents of a deceased animal.

"Come on. How are you supposed to kill someone if you can't handle a deer?" Vaas finished pulling off a rough patch of fur from the herbivore.

"I'm not going to kill someone." I countered, pinching my nose.

"You will have to sooner or later," He nearly shouted. Irritance washed over his face, anger taking over.

"Sorry, sorry,"