Chapter 4: Drowning

I opened my eyes to warmly lit room.

"Hey, look who's awake." A man said in a friendly way.

I turned my head to the left to see a dark-skinned man with glasses and a green shirt smirk in both deceitful and warmness. He held out a knife. I reached out my right hand to grab it, but just as my fingertips wisped along the wooden handle, he pulled it away from my reach. He looked at me, scolding. "Listen, girl." He replied, his tone quickly changing to menacing.

"You have the right to take my life. But know," He flipped the knife so he grabbed the handle instead of the sharp end. "I will also take yours." He pointed it at me.

He chuckled, breaking the threatening tone that suffocated the air. He slid the knife that I recognized from my satchel onto a table next to me. Various contents sprinkled the top of the wooden desk.

I turned to my left arm and gasped. A few black markings stained my pale skin. I attempted to move the limb, but it stayed where it was.

"What the hell?!" I exclaimed. The man next to me chuckled once again. "It's nothing that'll hurt you, girl. In fact, it will benefit you."

"I don't care! Did you amputate my arm? Are you gonna chop it off?!" I yelled, panic striking through me as my voice raised it's pitch.

"No, no, calm down. He really made you paranoid." The man remarked.

"Who are you? And where am I?" I questioned pointedly.

"I'm Dennis. Dennis Rogers." He replied.

"Where am I, then?"

"There's a reason why I didn't answer that." He smirked. "You'll find out later."

"You from Africa or something?" I asked in annoyance, resting my head on the pillow that had been supporting it. My eyes widened. "Are we in Africa?!"

He rolled his eyes, handing me a glass of water. "Drink this." He said. "And I'm from Liberia."

"So you're African?"

"My boss over in America made fun of my accent, I don't want to see another do the same." He replied, looking down at me as I gulped the liquid.

I sighed, looking over at the table.

"You know that's my knife, right? You searched my satchel." I glared at him.

He leaned down to me, squinting his eyes. "Do you make enemies for enjoyment?"

"Shut the hell up. I've had a bad couple of days." I responded, glaring back daringly.

"Oh, I bet." He responded. "You're lucky that psychopath hasn't torn you to shreds yet."

"Vaas isn't that bad as you make him out to be."

He widened his eyes at me, leaning back. "Do you know what he's done? What he still does?"

"I can't possibly imagine." I uttered sarcastically.

"You'll see." Dennis said. "Your imagination can't even comprehend."

"Oh, thanks African dude who won't let me control my left arm. Who fucking put tattoos on it!"

"Listen, girl, do you want my help or do you not want my help?"

"No, no I don't!"

He stood up, scraping the chair that he had been sitting in on the floor. "Fine then. Leave! Leave the most safest place you could possibly-"

"Dennis, you ran out of-"

One of the doors creaked open that had been attached to the room we were in. Dennis and I paused as somebody's footsteps came to a halt.