Chapter 1: Threats

"What the fuck? I wanted her over at the tower with the rest of them, and look what you did instead!"

I heard a quick click and a loud banging sound that made my ears ring. I was terrified, unable to comprehend the difference from consciousness and unconsciousness. I watched the man drop to the dirt. I had a feeling he wouldn't be getting back up.

"Hey!" A voice yelled. "What the hell-" In my peripheral vision, I could see a figure approach the man in a sleeveless red shirt and faint green shorts. I was only able to see below his tan shoulders. Whoever these people were, they got a lot of sun.

"Oh," The man said. I tried to stretch my neck to see above me, but the low ropes connecting my wrists and the steel-barred cage kept me from seeing anything.

I heard footsteps in the distance, slowly going away from what I thought was the man's base. I felt like the man in the red shirt was boss. After all, I think he just murdered one of his own. I should call the police.

I realized, again, that my phone was in my pocket and my hands were above my head. No way in hell I was going to get to my jeans.

I felt my eyes get heavy, only able to breathe through my nose and not my mouth because of the duct tape covering it. How long have I sat here? Obviously long enough to make me... tired...

"Hey, bitch, you getting tired?"

I jumped, my eyes widening from such vulgar language. I lived in a rather innocent neighborhood, so the way he talked to me surprised me.

I glared at him, wanting to spit in his face. I hated it already, the meaningless amusement crossing his brown eyes. I let my eyes wander to the top of his head, the middle of it sticking out to make a dark mohawk. The other two sides of his head were shaved. I followed the white line down to his eyebrow, cutting it off. A cleverly cut beard was on his seemingly pointed chin.

Apparently the man noticed me examining his features, and a smirk played on his lips as he spoke.

He whispered, "You want to know where that came from, hermana?"

I looked at him and shook my head quickly. He snorted. "Good, cause I wasn't going to tell you."

His face was close to the bars as he looked me in my striking green eyes, then my long red hair. I felt his gaze go down to my shoulders, then to my eyes again.

"We don't have women of your kind here," He muttered, hardly audible. He walked around behind me, fitting his fingers through the big space between the thick bars. He picked up my hair and rubbed it between his dirty fingers. I shuddered. "I like short hair, though,"

I jerked my head forward, tugging my hair away from his grip. I made another effort to get free of my restraints.

He chuckled. "So feisty," He thought out loud. "I wonder what you'd say if you were able to talk,"

He was still behind me, kneeling down. Then I heard him stand up to round the corner of the cage and gaze at me through the bars.

"Vaas, get your ass over here, there's a tiger trying to beat the shit out of Jason," A voice in the far distance yelled.

"I'm busy!"

"Okay, so let another hermano get killed because of you,"

"Well fuck you too!" The man named Vaas yelled after throwing his head back. Then I saw a change of expression when he turned to me again. It wasn't as aggressive.

"I'll come back, pretty lady," He said, looking at me in the eye. He pushed his arm through the space between the bars and touched my chin. I jerked back, trying to get away from him.