Chapter II: The Trance City Kidnappers

Karma walked into the meeting room, seeing Captain Augustine was already there sitting at the table. He sat down next to him, still angry from his run-in with the Guard Section. Augustine looked over to Karma and noticed his tense muscles and sharp breathing.
"What has you angry this time, Karma," asked Augustine. Karma sighed, leaning back in his chair, seemingly relaxing.
"Nothing," Karma uttered calmly.
"You say that every time. You can tell me anything, I won't judge you," Augustine assured him. Karma tightened his eyebrows again, and Augustine noticed that he was only making Karma more angry by asking him.
"It's really nothing, I'm just stressed over work," Karma grumbled.
"Well, you probably do have a lot of work to catch up on if you skipped a whole month," shrugged Augustine.
"Too much work," sighed Karma.
Soon enough, King Rey walked in followed by Arwen and Takeo. King Rey sat at the end of the table and Arwen and Takeo sat across from Karma and Augustine.
"Captains, these are lab workers Arwen Anarica and Takeo Lee. Lab workers, these are captains Karma Alekhin and Augustine Fischer," King Rey spoke. Arwen, who was sitting across from Karma, reached out her hand towards the captain. Karma shook her hand with a nod in greeting. "Arwen and Takeo have an update from the lab to share with us," explained the king. Both Arwen and Takeo got up from their seats and walked over to a chalkboard.
"Thank you King Rey," Arwen said softly. King Rey nodded. "As you probably know, me and Takeo have been working on something for a long time," Arwen spoke. She pointed to a drawing of a syringe on the chalkboard. "We've been working on an injection that when you inject into a human's bloodstream, they would have the ability to transform between human and lurker, much like Captain Karma's Faux Carmin," Arwen informed. "This morning, we performed test number fifty-five on a prisoner, who'd be much familiar to Captain Karma, Killroy Alekhin. Fortunately, the injection worked. Unfortunately, Killroy escaped the prison before we could execute him," Arwen sighed. Karma nodded, leaning back in his chair and crossing his arms. Takeo looked at Karma and clenched his jaw.
     "You're acting like this is old news for you, Captain Karma," Takeo said. Karma looked over to Takeo and sighed.
     "Chief Alexander told me about this already. Hate to inform you, but they ain't doing much of anything about it," Karma uttered.
     "They've always been slow, I'll have to have a talk with the chief after this," King Rey said. Arwen looked over to the king and spoke.
     "King Rey, we've gathered you all here today to figure out what we do next with this injection," Arwen strongly said.
     "Well, we either keep it a secret from the public or we can tell them and pray they don't tell Trance City," suggested Augustine.
     "I think it's best to keep it a secret for now. You never know what Trance City could do if they find out we have this injection," King Rey said. Karma looked over to King Rey and clenched his fists.
     "I have to go," Karma said quickly. He stood up from his seat in a hurry, but was stopped by King Rey's stern tone.
     "Where do you think you're going," the king asked sharply.
     "I'm gathering my team. I'm catching my brother myself, because I doubt the Guard Section will find him before he reaches Trance City," Karma informed the king.
     "Be careful out there, Alekhin. Killroy can now shift between human and lurker, and he will be stronger than the average lurker considering his human intelligence," warned King Rey.
     "I know," Karma said before walking out the door in a rush.

     Ronnie and Rueben put their hands up, dropping the buckets they were holding.
     "Please don't shoot," Ronnie said shakily, her fingers trembling. The man smiled, putting the gun down by his side. They widened their eyes at who the man's identity was, it was King Rod from Sightburgh, Civil Island.
     "Where's Rhys," Rod asked sternly.
     "He—he's in our prison," stuttered Rueben.
     "You have five seconds to tell me where the prison is located before I blow both of your heads off," Rod growled. Ronnie and Rueben both frantically shook their heads, not willing to tell Rod where the prison was. "Alrighty, then," Rod muttered, putting his finger on the trigger. Just as Ronnie and Rueben thought they were dead, Rod was hit in the side of the head with the handle of a revolver. He was knocked to the ground, and before they knew it blood covered the area in splatters, remains of a brain curled up in the dirt. Ronnie and Rueben could feel their heart beat as they looked down on the former king, seeing his blue eyes staring at them, despite having the top part of his head completely blown to pieces. Suddenly, one of the eyeballs fell to join the brain remains. Karma stood over it, holding a revolver with blood stains on his gray buttoned-up shirt.
     "Captain," Ronnie gasped. Karma looked over to them, blood splattered against his glazed face. Ronnie could've swore his eyes were a metallic red.
     "Get your gear on, we're leaving," Karma told them sternly.
     "Captain, wasn't that your uncle," asked Rueben.
     "That's a command," Karma fumed. They said no more, but followed their captain out of the barn.
     They silently walked through the streets, the image of the headless king burnt into Ronnie's brain. Karma would glance over his shoulder at them ever so often, making sure they were following closely behind him. They gathered the rest of the team and set off into the woods towards Trance City.