Chapter IV: The Battle for Ranks

October twenty-sixth, 1891 ...

     A few months after Captain Karma was first attacked, he was healed up enough to continue with his normal activities. Ronnie could tell he was back to normal when she made an effort to keep up with him as he was walking down the hall of Headquarters. She hasn't yet told him about the strange city of Stormidia, because she was waiting until the right moment. Today was re-ranking day, which meant that all the captains had to fight one another so they could be ranked. There was a board of the top ten best captains. The top five were known to be the strongest soldiers in Shippendale, Captain Karma being number one. Ronnie could tell Karma always stressed about these days. He always thought he was going to be ranked down, but Ronnie knew he would be fine.
Rumors were being spread around that a new captain has joined the committee from Germany. Ronnie hoped it was true, since she didn't know many other people from Germany. Soon, the rumors were proven to be correct, and it was true that a captain from Germany joined the committee, and he'd even be fighting in the re-ranking battle. Ronnie couldn't help but wonder what he was like, and why they decided to put a brand new captain in the re-ranking battle. She guessed he had to be a good fighter, she hoped he was. Despite how much she hoped the new captain would be a good soldier, she prayed that he wasn't as good as her captain, Captain Karma.
An hour before the battle started, Ronnie found Karma drinking coffee in the cafeteria. He was all by himself, but he seemed to enjoy it. She walked over and sat down across from him, a warm smile on her face.
"Are you excited, Captain," she asked. Karma looked up to her and sighed after swallowing a hot mouthful of black coffee.
"No," he said plainly.
"Oh, come on, lighten up! What's there to be worried about?"
"I don't like fighting my comrades."
"Comrades? In the re-ranking battle, they're your enemies!"
"Still, I'm afraid my injury has weakened me."
"Oh, so what if you get ranked down? All that matters is that you have fun."
"..Yeah."
The two soldiers were silent for a brisk second before Ronnie decided to break the ice between them.
"So, do you know about the new German captain," she asked her captain.
"Mhm. I heard they found him in the woods all by himself. He must be pretty strong in order to survive with only two swords and his fists," replied Karma.
"Let's hope he makes a good captain, then."
"Let's hope."
Karma took another sip from his coffee. Ronnie decided that it was the perfect time to tell Karma about Stormidia.
"Do you know of a city named Stormidia, Captain," she asked. To her surprise, Karma froze mid-sip. He looked at her with wide, shocked eyes. He swallowed the bit of coffee that was in his mouth and put the mug back down on the table.
"..Stormidia? I haven't heard that name in years," Karma rasped.
"So you do know what it is?"
"Well, I didn't know it was a city. You see, when I was an early teenager, Russia and Germany were dealing with a large group of Americans called the Stormidia Clan. Their main goal was to capture and kill as many Russians and Germans they could."
"Really?"
"Where'd you hear about it?"
"A few months ago, Faux had found a letter on Commander Asker's desk from Stormidia. It said that the leader of Stormidia accepted Asker's request to go there and speak with him."
"This all makes sense now!"
"What does?"
"Haven't you noticed that there are barely any Americans in the cities?"
"Now that you mention it, I have."
"They all live in Stormidia! And Asker has most likely been a Stormidian spy, making sure all the Russians and Germans were in line."
"Is that why he's been so against you ever since he found out you were Russian?"
"Most likely, yes."
     They both jerked their heads towards the entrance to the cafeteria when they heard a loud and sharp "Karma!"
    It was a tall woman with straight black hair and golden eyes. Ronnie couldn't believe how tall she was, she had to be more than a foot taller than Karma. When she got close enough to Karma, she stood in front of him and peered down to him. Karma looked right back up at her, his mouth open and his eyes unusually wide.
     "I want to get you ready for re-ranking day, so come back with me to my house," she told him.
     "But, Mother, I don't have any time," Karma argued. Ronnie looked from Karma to the woman in shock. This was Karma's mother? The height difference was ironic, Karma's mother being super tall and Karma being short.
     Karma's mother leaned forward and looked at her son face-to-face.
     "You do as I say and come to my house," she commanded. He sighed, nodding.
     "Fine," he groaned.
     "Fine. Be there soon," she said.
     "Alright," sighed Karma. They watched as Karma's mother walked out of the cafeteria.
     "Wow, she's tall," gasped Ronnie when she was gone.
     "Yeah, too bad I got my father's genes height-wise," Karma mumbled. "Let's get the letter so we can examine it at my mother's house.