Chapter V: The Boy

Ronnie leaned closer towards the window, squinting her eyes for a better look. It looked like a child, and he was sitting against a building, shivering. Ronnie immediately stood up and grabbed her jacket from her headboard. She quickly stepped down the stairs and bursted out her front door. She walked outside into the freezing night air, holding her arms closely. She peeked around the corner to see the child was still there. His lips were blue and his teeth her clattering. When she walked up to him, he shakily looked up to her, but didn't say anything.
     "Are you alright? Where's your parents," she asked the unfamiliar child.
     "I was separated from my father, we can't find each other," the boy shakily said. To Ronnie's surprise, the boy had a heavy Russian accent. She helped him up and held him closely.
     "Come inside and let's get warmed up," she told the boy. She took him by the hand and led him into her house, where she sat him down at the kitchen table. He looked to be about ten or eleven years old. He had dark brown hair and dark blue eyes, and he had a tan skin-tone. Ronnie helped him wrap himself in a blanket she had given him, and then she called Kenna down. He looked from the boy to her in confusion.
     "Whose boy is this," he asked.
     "I don't know, he said he was separated from his father," Ronnie replied. "He's Russian, I believe."
     "Russian? I don't know any Russians other than Captain Karma and Rueben Novikoff," Kenna said. Ronnie looked from Kenna to the boy.
     "What's your name," she asked softly.
     "Borya," replied the child. Ronnie nodded and looked back over to Kenna.
     "I don't know what to do. Should he stay here until we can find his father," she asked Kenna.
     "We have no other choice," Kenna answered. Ronnie looked back over to Borya and smiled.
     "Borya, my name is Ronnie and this is my husband, Kenna," Ronnie introduced kindly. Borya looked from Ronnie to Kenna, still shivering. "He's shivering, Kenna. How about we make him something warm to drink."
     "Do you like tea, Borya," Kenna asked the boy. Borya nodded, holding the blanket closer to himself. Kenna nodded and started making tea. Ronnie sat down across from Borya.
     "Were you born here," she asked him. He shook his head shyly, not saying a word. "When did you move here?"
     "Only recently, we lived in Sightburgh until the king died," replied Borya.
     "I see. You're from Russia, right?"
     "Yes."
     "Alright. Don't worry, we'll find you your dad," Ronnie assured him.
     After it was done, Kenna put a cup of tea down on the table in front of Borya. The boy immediately started to drink it, almost like he hadn't drank a sip of anything in his whole life. Kenna sat down next to Ronnie, crossing his arms.
     "We'll have to invite Captain Karma over tomorrow morning. He could probably help us find this kid's parents," Kenna said.
     "Good idea. I'll go to his house and get him tomorrow when I wake up, let's hope he knows what to do."

     The next morning, Ronnie walked down the street towards a small house in the corner. She had been here before, it was Karma's house. She knocked on the door, and Karma's wife, Mercy, was the one to answer.
     "Hello," said Mercy kindly.
     "Hello. Is your husband here," Ronnie said. Mercy nodded and shut the door. A few moments later, Karma opened the door. He looked tired and worn out, but Ronnie couldn't blame him.
     "What is it," he asked her lowly.
     "I found this little Russian boy on the side of the road last night, and I need help finding his father," said Ronnie. Karma sighed and rubbed his eyes with his hands.
     "Fine. Take me to him," Karma uttered.
     Ronnie led her captain back to her house, where Kenna and Borya were patiently waiting for her return. Kenna had fed Borya breakfast, and Borya had just finished eating by the time they arrived. As soon as Karma saw the boy, he put his hands on his hips and looked down to him.
     "He said his name is Borya," said Ronnie.
     "He's so skinny.. how long has he been lost," questioned Karma.
     "He's from Sightburgh, so he probably doesn't eat a whole lot," Ronnie replied. Karma and Borya looked at each other in question.
     "Is there something wrong with him," asked Karma.
     "Captain! He's scared," Ronnie gasped. Borya tightened his grip on his spoon and his friendly eyes became angry.
     "I'm sorry, it just looks like he has a problem," Karma argued.
     "I know, but—" Ronnie was interrupted by a knock on her door. She walked over and opened it, revealing a man. The man looked friendly, and he didn't appear to be holding any weapons. "Hello," greeted Ronnie. "Do you need something?"
     "Yes, I've been looking for my son, we've been separated. Have you happened to see a lonely boy wondering around," said the man. Ronnie's eyes widened and she opened her mouth.
     "Ye—yes! We actually have him right inside," she told the man. The man's eyes lit up and he gave a sigh of relief.
     "Thank goodness! Thank you so much," the man smiled. Ronnie led him inside where he was reunited with his son.
     "I'm so sorry, this'll never happen again," the man told his son. Borya smiled as he hugged his dad tightly. Karma stood off to the side with his arms crossed.
     "Could I just ask how you lost your son in the first place," asked Karma. The man looked over to Karma and was about to speak, but was stopped by something.
     "Your eyes are pretty," the man told Karma. "I've only seen yellow eyes once before in my life, a very long time ago."
     "I don't care, answer my question," Karma muttered.
     "Captain, that was a little rude, don't you think," said Ronnie.
     "I've seen yellow eyes like yours before, back where I grew up," the man continued.
     "Where'd you grow up," asked Karma.
     "Moscow, Russia," replied the man. Karma looked at the man in shock, but decided to keep talking.
     "Really? Me too," said Karma.
     "Karma? Is that your name," the man questioned.
     "Yes.. how'd you know," said Karma. "Wait a second.. someone called my eyes pretty when I was a child, and I never forgot it. That compliment meant so much to me, it was the first compliment I got from someone other than my mother," Karma uttered. "It couldn't be.. Kodiak?"
     "I can't believe it's you," the man, Kodiak, smiled.
     "Wait.. can someone please explain," asked Ronnie.
     "When I was a child, I met the other side of my family that I've never met before. I became close to one boy with beautiful eyes, his name was Karma. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see each other much. Me and Karma are cousins, my full name is Kodiak Alekhin," said Kodiak.
     "Really? That's so cool," gasped Ronnie.
Karma's grandfather was a powerful man skilled with great skills in quiet battle, he was the one who started the assassin tradition in the Alekhin family. His name was Dima I, and he had a brother named Krugan. Krugan's son's name was Lev, and Lev's son is Kodiak. Karma and Kodiak got along as children, yet they really weren't supposed to. Kodiak moved to America shortly after Karma did, but he went to Sightburgh instead of Shippendale. Lev died back in Russia, so he never made it to America. It was just Kodiak and his son, Borya, who remained. After the father and son reunited, they said their goodbyes and went back to their house. Ronnie could tell her captain was happy about uncovering another part of his seemingly dying family. If only Ronnie had a big family, but it was just her and her brother.