Chapter 4

Chapter Four

     In the spring of 1769 Joseph and Laura Gibbon carried their newborn son, Joshua, up the stairs of their modest, two-story home.  The house was not very big or fancy, but it was theirs.  It was just on the outskirts of Williamsburg, Virginia, where Joseph also owned a local tavern.  Their friends and neighbors would often visit the young couple and dine with them.  The Gibbons were thought of highly in the town and this meant that their son would have every chance to accomplish whatever he may desire in this new land.  He could not have wished for a more perfect family with which to be born into.

  Joseph and Laura had arrived from England just two years prior and were married within their first week in Virginia.  Joseph had originally taken a job as a bartender in the tavern but had taken ownership when his employer passed away with a terrible fever.  He enjoyed his work and the travelers who came through and would often join in their gambling and conversations and learned much about conducting business from  them.  He was often torn between working and going home to his family as he enjoyed both almost equally. 

  Joseph also took special interest in the meals prepared at the tavern.  While the previous owner cared little for the meals served, usually consisting of whatever game was caught that morning boiled into a stew, Joseph made an effort to make the food appealing to compete with the other taverns.  His portly size confirmed his love of food.  Meals were still served three times a day and broiled or boiled on an open hearth.  Most of the tavern food consisted of smoked ham or beef, stews, eggs, poppy or corn bread, and a potpourri of vegetables.  Much of Joseph’s dishes had a hint of nutmeg, his favorite spice. 

When Joseph took ownership of the tavern he added a few more employees and built a small smokehouse behind the building so that the meat would always be available.

Besides the company of visitors and food, Joseph also enjoyed the beer, ale, wine, whiskey, and rum. 

Laura Gibbon kept busy at home while her husband managed the tavern.  She would rise early to get the porridge or cornmeal mush that had been cooking overnight and serve it to her family.  The thin brunet cooked over her stone-lined hearth and brick oven, often making dishes, pies, and puddings of roast beef, venison, pork, sweet corn, cabbage, and other vegetables, spices, and fruits.  Her favorite fruit to use in her dishes was the cranberry.  She would also serve pancakes, fritters, and soups with a variety of sauces, jams, pickles and catsups.  The young Joshua mostly enjoyed the desserts of custards, spice cakes, pies, and tarts. 

  She spent the rest of her time knitting, making soap and candles, and cleaning the home. She also managed to keep her son clothed, well-mannered, and healthy.  The boy always wore a smile and was polite to all the adults he came in contact with. 

     After school Joshua would often run home to find all sorts of mouth-watering desserts awaiting his ‘bottomless pit of a stomach,’ as his father used to call it.  Of course, there was always his fair share of chores that needed doing before filling his face.  He had to chop the wood, feed the chickens, cut the grass, and whatever else needed to be done.  Joshua was never one to argue and would gladly set himself on any task needed doing.  He felt his life to be complete at such a young age.  His life revolved around his parents.  There was just Mother, Father, and son.  What more could a boy ask for?  Then he met Sarah Rowson.  Red hair, soft brown eyes, and the most darling freckles Joshua had ever laid his eyes upon.  She was just a few years younger than he and quickly became all he could think of.  They had met at school and became quite inseparable at first sight.  Joshua would always remember the first time he had ever held her hand as if it had been etched into his brain by Leonardo DaVinci himself.