Chapter 13

Chapter Thirteen

      Joshua opened his eyes to find that the room was still dark.  The bed was as soft as cotton and the silken sheets made him feel most content.  He stretched his body as much as possible and yawned quietly.  The room smelled of vanilla and felt strange to Joshua but it was not clear why.  The hour was much too early for clear thinking and he could not fully remember going to bed the night before.  He looked to his side to find his beautiful wife sleeping soundly.  He gently kissed her back and felt the warmth against his lips just as always.  His arms crossed above and under her body to hug her tightly for comfort.  Her naked body was smooth and delicate and forever inviting.  He snuggled closer, pressing his flesh to hers, debating whether or not to wake her for another session.  He kissed the back of her neck again and whispered her name.

     “Sarah?”

     His hands caressed her wherever they could reach while he continued to kiss her neck, inching his way to her ear.  The love he felt for this woman was incomparable and undeniable.  He had loved her since they were children and he made a vow to be with her forever.  They made love as often as possible, mostly in their bedroom, sometimes anywhere else.  His thoughts traveled back a few months past when they were out for a stroll in their neighborhood after a festival.  They were giddy and just a wee bit tipsy after sampling some new whiskey from Bourbon County.  They were arm in arm and crossing a bridge over a small lake. 

     “Did you see what Emma had on her neck?” giggled Sarah with a large and bright smile.  She was beautiful in an imported Circassian gown, scarf, and chemise from France.  The ensemble was white and blue in color and tight around her waist.  She also wore a white hat with a feather.

     Joshua laughed heartedly.  “I did.  But who gave it to her?”

     “I think it was Benjamin, or maybe William.  With her, who knows?  It could have been anybody.”  She spoke in a joking manner, but full of curiosity just the same.

     “Her parents must be furious at her for her promiscuity.”

     “Well, at least no one can say the girl doesn’t know how to have fun, right?”

     “You are always right, my dear.  And that girl certainly knows how to have fun,” he laughed again.  “I wonder what markings are visible under her dress.”

     “Joshua!” he jokingly scolded, playfully swatting him with her purse.

     “I am sorry, my lady.  I guess I am feeling a bit naughty today.”

     She stopped in her tracks.  “Really?” she whispered.

     “Truly,” he said deviously.

     She moved closer to her husband and squeezed his buttocks.  “How naughty, exactly?”