Preface

All rights reserved.  No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without written permission from the publisher.

Preface

“Mother, Father, please forgive your dim-witted son.  I sometimes wish one of you were here to set me on the right path.”

“Is that an actual wish I hear?”

Joshua Gibbon looked around and saw no one but knew the voice clearly as Hek’s.  “Where are you, demon?”

“I am nowhere that you can see.”

Joshua stood and searched the room while Hek laughed at his confusion.  Joshua looked behind chairs, under tables, and even behind pictures on the wall.  “Where are you?”

“I was not invited so I cannot show myself,” he laughed.

“That has never stopped you before.”

“That is true, my friend.  This time, however, is special.  This is your wedding day.  I knew that little tramp had to be good in bed!”

Joshua shook his head and sat back down.  “What do you want, monster?”

“I only came to check up on you and to congratulate you on your wedding.”

“Thanks.  Now go away.”

“I am away.  Tell me though, my boy, is there anything that old Uncle Hektor can get you for a wedding present?  How about a night with Lillian Gish?  One night with her and you’ll forget all about Julianna Whatshername!”

“Go away,” Joshua growled.

“How would you like a best man?” Hek offered.

Joshua coughed unnervingly.  “Excuse me?  Are you asking to be my best man, demon?”

“Heck, no!” he laughed.  “I’m only trying to find ways in which to amuse myself.  However, if you are asking, then I may consider it.  Besides, I’m sure there a lot of bridesmaids or bride’s mommas looking for some drunken fun tonight that only a man of my size and stature can satisfy.”

Joshua closed his eyes.  “Demon, you are not welcome here in any way, shape, or form.  I am about to get married to a wonderful girl and have no use for an immoral monster from Hell to throw the wedding into disarray.  You may leave now.”

Hek still did not show himself though Joshua could feel his warm breath on his neck.  “I see that your current best man did not have the courtesy to show up and support you, did he?  He is but a mortal, a nobody, a has-been!  You can do so much better than these humans, Joshua.  But you choose to go along with them anyway.  You have chosen to marry one of them.  At least that whore-witch you were with strived for better when she let that fruity vampire suck on her neck for a taste.  She was reaching for immortality!  You, though, settle on a little daddy’s girl looking for the big man who can save her from such rich girl doldrums!  And one day that little girl will grow old and die and you will be alone as you are now.  Look around the room, Joshua.  This is the biggest day of your life and who came out to support you?  Nobody.  Not even me.”

Joshua looked toward the mirror at the empty room once more.  He was alone.  Nobody was there with him.  He had no family.  He had no friends.

“Hek?”

There was no answer.

“Demon?” he called out.

There was still no answer.

What am I calling him for anyway?  I do not need a best man!  I do not need anyone but Julianna.  I have the love of the most beautiful woman in the world and that is all I need.

He stood and looked around the empty room again. 

“Demon?” he whispered.

The room was silent.

“You are a bastard as well.”