Chapter 23

Chapter Twenty-Three

“We saw the movie, had ice cream, and returned home,” Joshua said solemnly.

“And you made your decision that quickly?” Deborah asked.

Joshua gently rubbed Deborah’s back.  “I did.  Her suffering was all I could think of then.  I played with the children and hugged them as much as possible that day.  I told them a thousand times that I loved them.  I thought of them aging as well, and how I could not bear to watch them age and die, either.”  He puts his hands in his lap and looked down.  “She was my wife and they were my children.  I was weak.  I thought I was doing the right thing.  I thought I was doing her a favor but I see now I was only being a coward.  I should have stuck by as I had promised to do.  I should have told her the truth and been the man that she deserved but I ran away instead.”  He looked up at his great-granddaughter with tears in his eyes.  “And now she is dead.  My Julianna is gone and I can never hold her again.  Dear God, I just want to die and end this forsaken life of mine.  Forgive me, Julianna.”

Deborah squeezed him tightly in her arms as her own tears fell on his head.  “I’m sorry for all that you’ve been through.  Your life has been tortuous beyond anything anyone should ever go through.”  She kissed the top of his head, trying to console the immortal.  “I understand if you need to run though I wish you would stay here with us, with Theresa, with those of us that love you.”

“If only I were strong enough, little one.  My heart cannot take this any longer.”

Deborah released him and held his hands.  She looked into his eyes and saw years of pain and emptiness being released.  “You’re leaving, right?”

Joshua shook his head.

Deborah wiped the tears from her face with the back of her hand.  “I’m going to need a picture of you.  I want to look at your face every day for the rest of my life, Joshua.  I want to see the man that I love so much.  I never want to forget you,” she cried.

Joshua reached out to hold her in his arms.  “I love you, too, Granddaughter.”

She stayed for a moment before leaping from the couch.  “I’m going to get a camera.  Stay put!”

Joshua watched Deborah run out of the room, tears in her eyes.  It was time to leave once more.  He massaged his temples, looked around the empty room, and sighed.  He thought about those who he would be leaving and how much he cared for them.  They were his family, his loved ones.  He would fight and die for them if he were able.  But death was impossible.  He would wait for Deborah to take the picture, and then he would leave.  Anywhere was possible and the less people, the better.    

“Dad?” spoke Samuel as he entered the room.  “I mean, Joshua?  Heavens, I don’t know why I said that.  You look so much like him it’s uncanny.”