Chapter 18

The stars formed on the cloudless night backdrop. In the distance, I saw you drop down from the tree, shivering in your stance.

I started the car back up, dimming the lights not to spook you, and headed your way.

The car was too noisy. You heard me coming, and you ran in every direction as your legs shook either from fear or from your body responding to the cold. I prefer the heat too.

I followed slowly behind you as you climbed towards the rocks with nowhere left to turn to. I slowly crept up towards you, but you knew I was there. You released a shaky sigh, feeling the defeat. I released a sigh in response, knowing your crystal clear feelings towards me.

"Gem?" I called towards you.

I turned back towards the car as I yanked out a sweater.

I held the green sweater out towards you as a peace offering.

"Come back to me," I spoke softly, pleaded even.

You remained quiet. Unnervingly so.

You pressed your palms into the rocks. Your fingertips were turning blue. I took a subtle step forward to try and convince you further to come back to me.

"There's no way out," I called. "I'll wait here all night if I have to, all week. You can't escape me."

I took another drag of the cigarette that was rolled and ready in my pocket. Your fingers balled into a fist barely. You moved towards the fence. Your eyes grew wide and were wet with misery.

Silently, I grabbed the wire cutters and proceeded to make a slit into the chicken wire that I had previously put up. I curled back the wire to make sure that you knew that you could walk through it. I made sure you knew that you could leave past the house but that you would always come back to me in the end.