After School Plans

Jenny plopped down next to Kate with her bagged lunch. "Why do you ignore my texts?" she demanded as she stared at Kate. Kate shrugged, "I'm not ignoring them Jenny, I was in class." Jenny shook her head full of amazing black curls. "Whatever bitch. What time is this party?" She giggled, which in turn made Kate giggle. It was the word party that got them, especially in the sense that her dad had used the word. Jenny started bouncing before Kate could answer, "Ohhh, can you invite Naomi too? Please?" She begged excitedly. Naomi was their friend, but she was defiantly more Jenny's friend than hers. Kate flashed that Barbie smile again, "Sure. Why not." Jenny danced in her seat, though it looked more like wiggling.

"Hi Kate." It came from behind them, when they turned Jenny's jaw dropped. Kate had been taking a drink and nearly choked on her pop. "Riley! Hi." She stammered. Jesus she must have looked like an idiot. He stood now awkwardly holding his own bagged lunch. He pointed to the seat in front of them both. "Can I sit with you?" He asked, shifting his look between them. Jenny smiled at him with all her teeth, "Sure cutie, help yourself." His expression shifted to semi uncomfortable as he slid into the seat. "I'm Jenny." She said sweetly. He nodded at her and said, "Riley." While he was opening his bag Jenny threw Kate a look. Unfortunately Kate couldn't tell if Jenny was really into him, or if she wanted Kate to be.

Jake Halsey and a couple of his friends walked by their little group of three. They were the typical redneck ford driving assholes that seemed to be stock of Midwestern towns. "Hey faggot, see you found the girls table." Jake sneered as he walked by and eyed Riley. Jenny was a spitfire by heart, she flushed red as she snapped back. "Who you calling a faggot Jake Halsey? He's got a date with three girls tonight and you're going to be rolling around on the gym floor with ten other guys grabbing each others balls." One thing about Jenny was she was loud, and her comment had caused laughter at the surrounding tables. Jake's head went down when even his friends chuckled at the tiny girl's comment.

Kate looked back at Riley, he was obliviously eating a sandwich. "I'd say don't let them bother you, but it looks like you already decided that." Kate stated. He looked up at both the girls and shrugged. Swallowing down his mouthful he pointed at his face, "You can't look like this and not hear that shit wherever you go. I just don't care anymore." He looked at Jenny, "So where am I going tonight?" She smiled a mile wide, "Kate's having a 'Thank God I'm not dying' party, you should come." His gaze shifted back over to Kate, he didn't say anything just nodded. He took another bite and pushed his phone over to Jenny. Quickly entering her information into his phone Jenny smiled, "Just text me, I'll get ya where you need to be." Kate cleared her throat, "It's not like a real party, my dad is super conservative. He just wanted to celebrate." She noticed she was mumbling much like her father did whenever he spoke.

Riley shrugged, "It's okay, It'll be nice to get to know some people here." Kate peered over at Jenny who looked mortified. Riley's phone chimed, after a quick glance he shoved the rest of his sandwich in the bag. "I have to go clear something at the office up. I'll talk to you two later?" He eyed them both. Jenny nodded smiling, "Yeah, go do what you need to. We'll see you later." Riley smiled and walked away. Jenny turned towards Kate, "What is wrong with you?" Kate looked shocked, "What?" Jenny gestured at Riley as he walked away, "He's cute, like out of your league cute. And he defiantly has a thing already for you." Kate looked back towards him as he walked away. "You think? Maybe he just is needy and wants friends." She asked. This was already not going to plan.

Jenny's expression now switched to confusion, "Shit, you think he's gay? Oh hell Kate, for your sake I hope he's straight." Kate was trying to piece together the leap that Jenny had just taken, but then realized she hadn't considered he was gay. If that was the case, the plan was off the table. She wasn't going to have a masterpiece plan torn apart by assumption of a hate crime. Jenny sighed as her long fake nails clicked on her phone screen. "Naomi will be there. Is this like right after school Kate? Cause I would love not to have to go home." Kate shrugged, "You can come over after school, tell Naomi that it's at five." Jenny wiggled in her seat again as her nails clicked away. She began to smile as she asked, "Is that what time you want dreamboat to show up too?"

"Did he already text you?" Kate asked a little astonished. This was not going to plan at all! Jenny nodded looking up at Kate and biting her lip. Sighing she nodded, "Yeah tell him five too." More clicking before Jenny slipped her phone back into her pocket, suddenly her face changed. "Oh God, what is your dad going to do when a boy shows up at your house?" Kate shook her head, "I don't know, he'll probably just be relieved that there's proof I'm not a lesbian." Jenny's brow furrowed, "Martin has a problem with lesbians?" As much as Kate would have loved to end Jenny's inappropriate crush right there and then she decided to clear up the comment. "He wants grandchildren Jenny. I'm all he has left, remember?" Jenny's face went several shades lighter as she thought about it. "I'm sorry Kate, sometimes I forget."

After school Kate met at Jenny's car. "Oh my God I'm so excited Kate, are you excited?" she exclaimed as she turned the engine over. "It's just dinner Jenny." Kate stated. Jenny rolled her eyes, "No dummy. Riley! This could be a good thing for you!" Kate didn't share her friend's enthusiasm. "If you're this excited why don't you ask him out?" Kate asked. Jenny drove like a madwoman, she turned and glared at Kate. "Three reasons Kate Belfast." She held her finger up "One. My V card was punched a long time ago." Turning to look Kate in the eye she held up another finger, "Two. He seems so much more interested in you my dear. And three." She kept her eyes on the road this time just holding up a third perfectly manicured finger, "I'm still holding out in hopes that your dad will marry me when I turn 18." She giggled uncontrollably when Kate grabbed the purse on the bench seat and smacked her with it. "Perv." Kate stated as they pulled up to her house.

Kate and Jenny spent the next hour in her room silently scrolling through their phones until they heard the door close. Jenny's eyes met Kates. "Okay." Kate said in defeat as the girls left the room, going down the stairs to meet with Martin. "Hi daddy." Kate said as she met him at the base of the steps. His kind sad eyes glimmered when he looked at her, "Hey Katie Bug." He said in his usual soft tone. His eyes shifted to Jenny. "Hey Jenny." Jenny really toned it down, "Hi Mr. Belfast. I really love that you wanted to celebrate the wonderful news with us!" He smiled and switched his glance back to Kate, "It really is, isn't it. I'm going to get cleaned up and then order. I assume Naomi is coming as well?" Kate nodded silently. As he turned to walk back to the master bedroom Jenny pipped up. "Oh there's one more guest too Mr. Belfast. Riley." Martin stopped in his tracks and turned to the girls, "Riley?" Jenny nodded, "Yeah, new kid at school." She placed an arm around Kate's neck and smiled. He nodded and turned back around walking out of sight.